Persistent Loose Stools 4/5 month old pup

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Foxtrot

Persistent Loose Stools 4/5 month old pup

Post by Foxtrot »

hhmm so I don't want to keep pestering the vets, and am aware I have to be patient.

We took on a rescue pup (4/5 months at a guess, leggy pointer cross) who had to that point been living in kennels and, though she has been wormed, flea treated and what not, had a traumatic journey from Cyprus of all places with other pups, all a bit messy judging by the smell of her by the time she got here(!) So she could have picked something up on the journey. Vet was happy with all her wormers and the vacs that had been done and has had a listen to her heart and lungs.

She's generally doing well, was on a bland diet of chicken and rice for the first week and a bit, then on to tinned chappie and a bit of decent quality dry food. She's brightened up massively, seems to have grown and put on a bit of weight and has, apart from one day where she did still eat but not a lot, got a decent appetite.

Gets eye boogers (technical terminology) at night, and every other day has an episode of hacking, though this isn't by any means constant or even necessarily ever day. She did it more on arrival and I assume any hookworm / lungworm type nasties will be dealt with in the panacur.

She's still very ribby but her scurfy coat seems to be improving post bath.

She does sleep a fair bit, but also plays and goes out on a three mile walk quite happily. She had a bit of a temperature when she first arrived - had the vet look her over within a couple of days - but am confident that has now cleared up.

Currently on her fourth day of a five day course of panacur granules and I did think that, despite still being very light brown in colour, her leavings were improving as they had consistent, if soft, form but yesterday she did a few of the old little soft ones over the lawn, some with noticeable mucous.

I feel like I've pestered the vets almost constantly as I would really like to get some decent nutrition into her as she hasn't had much of a chance up until now, and I worry that much of it is going straight through. I am examining for evidence of tapeworm but am confident the 'bits' I have seen are both too small to be segments, they also go all the way through the droppings, and, despite picking them up straight away, I've never seen them move. She doesn't scoot and I regularly check her back legs, nothing. I believe some of it may be undigested chappie because it all went through so swiftly.

I've read that pumpkin can help but for the life of me cannot find anyway so have bought some of this on amazon as a substitute https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Have given her a couple of syringes of probiotic from the vet, she eats everything up fine so again confident she has 'taken' it all.

Almost three weeks here now, am I being impatient? Do I need to give her longer to settle?
JudyN

Re: Persistent Loose Stools 4/5 month old pup

Post by JudyN »

I found this online:
Diarrhoea is sometimes reported by owners after giving Panacur to their pet. This is almost always due to the irritation that the worms themselves are causing in the gastrointestinal tract. If the diarrhoea becomes severe or is bloody, call your veterinarian at once.
And I wouldn't be surprised if the treatment itself could cause digestive upsets in some dogs, so she might improve once the treatment has finished.

If not, would you consider trying a raw diet? My dog did soft/mucousy poos - and lots of them - whatever dry food I gave him, but went over to doing fewer, smaller, firmer, less smelly ones when I started feeding raw. His coat became softer too and many people find their dogs' coat improves when they go raw, so this might also help with her skin. You might want to leave her a bit longer to see if things settle down, but if you do want to try raw, we can give you plenty of advice.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Foxtrot

Post by Foxtrot »

What is the thinking behind a raw diet? I would have thought she'd be at greater risk of bacterial nasties on raw? I obviously need to do some reading.

It could be a dietary thing I suppose, I had thought, given the 'bits', perhaps a grain allergy as she's not digesting part of her food?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It is what dogs are 'designed' to eat, and would of course eat in the wild. They have a shorter digestive tract than humans and strong stomach acid designed to deal with bacteria. Remember, dogs still drink from stagnant ponds and lick their bums (generally) without problems! There's a long thread about it here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5321

Just a warning: raw feeding becomes like a religion to some and people get totally entrenched in their opinions about whether to feed vegetables, the exact percentages of this, that and the other, whether you can combine kibble & raw, and so on. Whatever you read, take it with a pinch of salt (not literally :wink: ). Many will argue that kibble causes cancer, and that a raw diet will cure pretty much every dog disease and quite possibly bring about world peace. In the absence of decent scientific studies, I just go on the number of people I know and read about who have switched to raw and seen great improvements - and what I see in my own dog of course.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Foxtrot

Post by Foxtrot »

JudyN wrote:It is what dogs are 'designed' to eat, and would of course eat in the wild. They have a shorter digestive tract than humans and strong stomach acid designed to deal with bacteria. Remember, dogs still drink from stagnant ponds and lick their bums (generally) without problems! There's a long thread about it here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5321

Just a warning: raw feeding becomes like a religion to some and people get totally entrenched in their opinions about whether to feed vegetables, the exact percentages of this, that and the other, whether you can combine kibble & raw, and so on. Whatever you read, take it with a pinch of salt (not literally :wink: ). Many will argue that kibble causes cancer, and that a raw diet will cure pretty much every dog disease and quite possibly bring about world peace. In the absence of decent scientific studies, I just go on the number of people I know and read about who have switched to raw and seen great improvements - and what I see in my own dog of course.
Thank you Judy, yes, from what I'd seen I'd got that pseudo science religiosity whiff from certain corners and so promptly steered my internet boat the other way.

I'm going to do some more reading, perhaps in book rather than internet form.

Also hoping the pro-fibre helps. Fingers crossed.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Personel experience?

Bax was on kibble and started pooping rivers of blood. switched him to prescription kibble that was mostly corn, the blood mostly cleared up but i still got mucousy runny poops. Switched him to raw and he now has nice firm poops (sometimes a little to firm if i goof and give him to much bone :lol: ). Raw might not be for everyone? but it helped Bax a TON. (bonus: i don't have to brush his teeth anymore (which he HATED) raw keeps em shiny and white)
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Foxtrot

Post by Foxtrot »

Shalista wrote:Personel experience?

Bax was on kibble and started pooping rivers of blood. switched him to prescription kibble that was mostly corn, the blood mostly cleared up but i still got mucousy runny poops. Switched him to raw and he now has nice firm poops (sometimes a little to firm if i goof and give him to much bone :lol: ). Raw might not be for everyone? but it helped Bax a TON. (bonus: i don't have to brush his teeth anymore (which he HATED) raw keeps em shiny and white)
Definitely going to read up.

However, four days into Panacur: one 10cm (roughly, didn't measure it) roundworm and what I suspect are threadworms?? (fine, hair like...or of course they could be hairs) so hopefully that's the end of it...
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I am by no means an expert but if your intimidated because you think it would be a lot of work you can check out my thread over here: 1 month of raw food. Just to see what it might look like if you decided to switch.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Modern wormers destroy the protective mucus covering of the worms so they get digested and you don't see them passed. In part-weaned puppies their digestions aren't strong enough so you do sometimes see real worms. In dogs of any age with severe worm damage, the gut can take a long time to heal. This may well be the case with your dog.

12 years ago I bought in a pup at 8 weeks that had never been wormed. Her worm burden was colossal and her digestion has always been sensitive. She is on a raw diet and doing well, but I would say you feed yours however you feel comfortable. Just be aware if your dog is similarly affected, the damage won't heal in a short time.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Pittance

Post by Pittance »

Hi, Foxtrot,
this is my first post, although i have been gleaning knowledge from this board for over 6 years. ( serious lurker☺). Thank you, one and all.

i couldn't help but think of diatomaceous earth possibly helping your pup to firm up the stools and to eradicate the worms. This is only my opinion and anecdotal, but since i began giving it daily to my dogs, at least 5 or 6 years now, stool samples have always tested negative.
It also helps my 11 year old pug mix that has digestive issues. She does so much better when getting DE than she ever did without it, i.e.: whining and scratching after eating, regular bouts of anal gland issues, alternating loose stools and constipation. Runny eyes. All gone.
It can be added to dry or wet food easily.
We just adopted a pup and i started mixing DE in with her dry puppy kibble from the day i switched her to the food she is getting now. I just measure out however much DE is appropriate for her size and throw it in the bag, shake it up really well and we are good to go until the next bag. ( adopted at 9weeks, stool sample at 4 1/2 months - negative)
I wish you and your pup the best.
Foxtrot

Post by Foxtrot »

Thank you, I'm googling that now. Is it a probiotic?

I've only seen the one roundworm, 100% a roundworm, so bit confused with by that as I expected if there's one...there will be more? Oh and believe me I've been looking.

She has been wormed and they say not collectively but individually so not sure how in three weeks it was such a whopper.

I'll give her time for stuff to settle. When would you likely reworm? She's about five months.

Keen to get some damned weight n her now.

Pittance wrote:Hi, Foxtrot,
this is my first post, although i have been gleaning knowledge from this board for over 6 years. ( serious lurker☺). Thank you, one and all.

i couldn't help but think of diatomaceous earth possibly helping your pup to firm up the stools and to eradicate the worms. This is only my opinion and anecdotal, but since i began giving it daily to my dogs, at least 5 or 6 years now, stool samples have always tested negative.
It also helps my 11 year old pug mix that has digestive issues. She does so much better when getting DE than she ever did without it, i.e.: whining and scratching after eating, regular bouts of anal gland issues, alternating loose stools and constipation. Runny eyes. All gone.
It can be added to dry or wet food easily.
We just adopted a pup and i started mixing DE in with her dry puppy kibble from the day i switched her to the food she is getting now. I just measure out however much DE is appropriate for her size and throw it in the bag, shake it up really well and we are good to go until the next bag. ( adopted at 9weeks, stool sample at 4 1/2 months - negative)
I wish you and your pup the best.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Diatomaceous Earth is a sort of dust with sharp edges that can reportedly kill parasites and insects by getting under their exoskeleton, but doesn't usually harm larger creatures (though it would not be good to get in your lungs). I'm not aware of any claimed health benefits beyond that, but there may be some.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Foxtrot

Post by Foxtrot »

Erica wrote:Diatomaceous Earth is a sort of dust with sharp edges that can reportedly kill parasites and insects by getting under their exoskeleton, but doesn't usually harm larger creatures (though it would not be good to get in your lungs). I'm not aware of any claimed health benefits beyond that, but there may be some.
Just read a couple f papers, one admittedly on chickens, and have been sufficiently put off.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

:lol: my mom uses it to keep slugs and snails out of her garden
Foxtrot

Post by Foxtrot »

Shalista wrote::lol: my mom uses it to keep slugs and snails out of her garden
I imagine it works the same way as eggshells :shock: ouchies, poor old slugs