Sensitive stomach

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Sensitive stomach

Post by Shalista »

I've known Bax has had a sensitive gut for awhile (that's why i put him on raw) but i'm rapidly learning just how sensitive. I made a big treat bomb out of a paper bag and some paper towel twists wrapped around about .25 lbs of turkey lunch meat. I checked the ingredients and it said it had "less than 2%" salt and some other stuff. I gave it to bax and (despite having no accidents in the house since like christmas) he peed twice in the house after eating it. Now i know hes eaten way more and way worse things without a reaction (i think he ate 6 hot dogs in a row once) but its hard to say cause hes had pottying issues for so long and im only now getting a really solid handle on it. I guess my question is this, is it possible for him to get more sensitive the longer hes on the good stuff (raw)? If he does what are my options for treats? I'm guessing liverwurst is totally out now (its gotta have way more junk in it), or could i keep using this stuff but just use smaller quantities? so no more huge treat bombs? What are you guys thoughts?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Re: Sensitive stomach

Post by JudyN »

If you give up (go cold turkey :lol: ) something like sugar or caffeine, you're going to react more strongly to it next time you have some so I guess he could have become more sensitive. And .25lb does sound quite a lot for his size. Was there anything else on the ingredients list apart from turkey & salt?

I'd buy a fresh chicken, or turkey leg, or whatever is easiest for you, roast or boil it, cut it into suitable size chunks, put them into ziplock or other freezer bags & store them in the freezer till needed. You could also experiment with other homemade treats (liver cake, salmon cake, etc.).
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Re: Sensitive stomach

Post by Shalista »

It was "less than 2% salt, dextrose, sodium phosphate."

That's a good idea on just freezing a bunch of boiled chicken for him. I haven't been doing a lot of training lately so he doesn't need anything super high value. I mostly just stuff treat bombs for him.

And yeah it was prolly a little less than .25 but i still worry about under feeding him (even though the vet says hes a good weight now) so i occasionally splurge and give him extra. I thought since it was just turkey meat it would be fine :?

I might poke around with liver a little bit to see if i can make him some good high value treats out of that. I'm in a bit of a bind because my liver supplier closed but i'll scrounge some up somewhere.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13