Dog Aggression Toward Elderly Dogs

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

Dog Aggression Toward Elderly Dogs

Post by Fundog »

Hi All,

So I've got a question: I seem to recall something having been stated, several years ago, on this forum, about how when a dog in the home becomes elderly, sick, infirm, etc., that the other dogs in the home may start to display aggression toward that dog.

Is this correct, or is my memory playing tricks on me? And if this is a fact of nature, can I get an explanation of why it occurs please?

As you all know, Annie is reaching the end of her life. Dottie has become increasingly interested in sniffing Annie, and Annie's blankets. Then this afternoon, Dottie showed some aggression toward Annie. We do not know what triggered the episode, only that Annie had lost her balance and fallen, sprawled on the floor, unable to get up. She did fall rather close to Dottie-- perhaps Dottie didn't like her being so close. We just don't know. I was able to intervene and pull Dottie away from Annie before she could set her mouth on her.

Thanks.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Nettle

Re: Dog Aggression Toward Elderly Dogs

Post by Nettle »

With social animals (us too) the weak, sick, flaky, elderly are killed or driven out. Because otherwise they attract predators - because those are the ones predators choose to try and kill, being much easier than fit healthy specimens. It's a hardwired behaviour and one of the reasons why old people are attacked by healthy young people, and needy children get bullied at school. Our own social teaching works hard to teach us to protect the weak, but our instincts say differently, and many people are ill at ease on a subliminal level when around certain types of people.

So often the first we know of one of our animals being ill is when the attitude of the others changes towards it. How it changes can differ. Some animals become more needy towards us because we are their Safe Place. Some try to kill or drive away the old/sick animal. This can mean in a human home that it is driven off any bed and away from any bowl, away from the human etc.

Sometimes this behaviour extends towards weak/sick humans too. We have to be very careful of dog dynamics when there is a vulnerable person in the household.

This is pretty much inevitable with dogs in multi households. You will need to be very careful managing yours now, and I would advise never leaving them alone together. I know you are a very able person and will do whatever is necessary, so this is just to assure you that it is no accident and needs your management.

For other readers - sometimes the elderly dog becomes a "non-dog" to the others and they just ignore him/her. But there is always risk of attack even if they seem to be "friends". A very few dogs will appear to care for the needy dog but this is very rare and I have only heard about it - never seen it - so it could be a human interpretation of something that is very different from the way we would like it to be.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Thank you, Nettle. I knew you had posted something like this before. What does everyone else think about pinning this where it's easy for others to find? We have always had to manage our girls very carefully, especially about meal times, but it is even more so now. Eating in a standing position has become very uncomfortable for Annie, and her bowl gets pushed away from her when she's lying down. (We keep pushing it back in front of her, or even better, stand in front of her and hold the bowl wedged between our feet). If we don't monitor things, Dottie will swoop in and steal Annie's food right out from under her. Annie is already getting skinnier and skinnier every day-- she needs every morsel she can get!
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Fundog, would it be easier for Annie if the bowl were elevated? It's an increased risk of bloat, but I don't think she's doing backflips and somersaults after her meals ;) Otherwise, a non-skid bowl could help, or maybe not - there are also bowls designed with a low front and high back so dogs who lay down to eat have an easier time eating from them

If you have a program that works for you, ignore me! Just some ponderings :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Hi. If your dogs' interactions have always needed management, I'd guess it's just an extension of their normal behaviour. Dogs of all ages can take the advantage if it serves them well. Stay safe. Happy new year 2017.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Fundog wrote:What does everyone else think about pinning this where it's easy for others to find?
I've added a link in the first post in the Useful Links & Recommended Reading sticky, under 'Reactive Dogs' :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009