Martha the Musky won't eat!!! Help

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Craig SCOTLAND

Martha the Musky won't eat!!! Help

Post by Craig SCOTLAND »

:( Writing in the expression of despair and upset! Here's my story :
Martha Musky ( mixed breed Husky), aged 12, found as a pup under a cactus in Spain, and my life long dog now living with me in Scotland. Three and a half weeks ago, had dental treatment, two extractions and dental clean. Since then has refused to eat!!! Weight loss and hip bones protruding! (30kg medium sized dog). Usual diet mixed of wet and dry ( senior food : James well beloved) with bits of chicken etc. Been for full vet examination and full blood tests and all clear. Have tried the 30 minute rule of putting food down, then removing and no treats. This failed the first two weeks! Resulting in me pureeing food and hand feeding, placing in mouth and encouraging to swallow. Have tried certain other foods she might like( extensive list) but only eating 1/4 in her dish. Still full of energy etc, pees and poos good, no abdominal pain nor lethargy. Just want Martha healthy and happy and it's breaking my heart to see her like this ( yes I'm a big softy over my girl). It is a behavioural thing with Martha and what other ways can I encourage her to eat to put weight on. Currently she's liking Baker's chicken nuggets and 1/4 of wet senior food! Worried that it's not going to be good for health in the long run, taking vitamins and omega 3&6oils daily. Any help or advice greatly sought. She refuses to eat with other dogs(3) as it's world war 3 . Other dogs eat great. Help me get my Martha Musky back to her usual self. Love and prayers sent for advice, Craig and Martha xx
Nettle

Re: Martha the Musky won't eat!!! Help

Post by Nettle »

Baker's is not a food I would ever recommend for a dog, but I am not surprised that you have been taken in by their clever marketing. Read the list of ingredients and back away! :lol:

Her mouth might well be very sore still after dramatic dentistry, and I have found sometimes that dogs come out of surgery with very sore throats from the anaesthetic tube. My own vet gives a vitamin B12 injection after surgery as it helps the liver, which is the chief organ involved in clearing out the anaesthetic from the body. Have a chat with your vet about this.

I would cook up a real chicken with lots of water and some green vegetables, then take the meat off the bone and offer her the broth and some meat and veg. in it. Small amounts first. Let us know how you get on.

You are very sensible to feed Martha on her own.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
KathleneDewberry

Re: Martha the Musky won't eat!!! Help

Post by KathleneDewberry »

Why don't you go for dog food suppliers, they have a good knowledge about dog food and what to feed them with. Don't worry she'll be fine soon.