What is the right age?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Theo400

What is the right age?

Post by Theo400 »

Hi all

As since as I don't won't buddy to become a dad I do plan on having him neutered but what is the right age to neuter as iv read confusing information some say 8months other say 1yr and some say 2yrs?

Buddy is 2yrs and 3 months.

I know females are suppose to be spayed after there 2nd or 3rd season.
Nettle

Re: What is the right age?

Post by Nettle »

He is a good age to neuter. But keeping him whole doesn't mean he will automatically father pups. There is a deal of owner compliance here. :wink: Your choice which to do, but don't let the hypothetical fathering of pups be your chief concern. They can't father pups if we don't let 'em.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
KathleneDewberry

Post by KathleneDewberry »

Neutering is good for your pet. By neutering you are keeping buddy away from a lot of health issues. A male dog can be neutered any time after eight weeks of age.
Erica

Post by Erica »

That is demonstrably untrue - several recent studies have found that early neutering leads to higher risk of certain types of cancer and injuries, due to how the dog's growth is altered by neutering. This article is a good starting point for people who are researching to decide for themselves whether to neuter or spay their dog. A quote from said article:
As part of the study, UC-Davis researchers analyzed medical records for 759 Golden Retrievers treated at the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital for hip dysplasia, cranial cruciate ligament tear, lymphosarcoma, hemangiosarcoma, and mast cell tumor—conditions to which the breed is predisposed. The dogs were privately owned, were of both sexes, and ranged from 1 to 8 years of age. What researchers found was noteworthy (see JAVMA, April 1, 2013).

Of males castrated early—defined in this study as before 1 year of age—10 percent had hip dysplasia, double the occurrence among sexually intact males. Cranial cruciate ligament tears were not diagnosed in any of the sexually intact males or females, but in the early age–neutered males and females, prevalences were 5 percent and 8 percent, respectively. Lymphosarcoma was diagnosed in almost 10 percent of males castrated early, three times the rate in sexually intact males.

Additionally, researchers found the percentage of females spayed at 1 year of age or later that developed hemangiosarcoma (about 7 percent) was more than four times the percentages of sexually intact and early age–neutered females that developed hemangiosarcoma. None of the sexually intact females developed mast cell tumors, but nearly 6 percent of females spayed at 1 year of age or later did.
Numerous studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals, including the JAVMA, have reported the health benefits neutering can impart. Spayed and castrated cats and dogs tend to live longer and are less susceptible to reproductive tract diseases and hormone-associated disorders than are those left sexually intact.

Throughout the past three decades, however, the same journals have also published data showing the opposite to be true. Researchers have reported higher incidences of musculo­skeletal and endocrinologic disorders, obesity, and urinary incontinence in neutered mixed-breed and pedigreed cats and dogs, compared with incidences in sexually intact animals.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

I know this is an old thread. Here's an article from Victoria's main site - https://positively.com/dog-wellness/hea ... ay-neuter/
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
KathleneDewberry

Post by KathleneDewberry »

I've heard and read about it. May be your right too.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I've always regretted neutering Bax when i did. remember, you can always wait a little longer, you cant un-neuter.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13