Dog Scootering a journey

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Swanny1790

Re: Dog Scootering a journey

Post by Swanny1790 »

The race form asks for a Kennel name. I left that line blank on the last form that I filled out. Does my little group count as a kennel? Should I be thinking of a catchy name to call my kennel?
Of course your group qualifies as a mushing kennel, if you wish it to be so. It's entirely up to you. In time you may wish to seek sponsors to help defray some of the costs of this crazy addiction, and having a catchy kennel name can help attract that sort of support.
If this race works as I believe it will, the second day run order is determined by the first day finish order. I believe the longest times go out first and the fastest times go last on the second day.
That's pretty typical of multiple day races. In the 3-day Open North American Championships, the start order of the first day is determined by random draw, the second day is fastest teams first, and the last day slowest teams first.
we will likely finish it at whatever speed Sky feels comfortable with assuming there aren't too many hills for me to walk up, in which case it may be goverened more by the speed I feel comfortable with.
Any given team can only go as fast as the slowest member of that team, be that member canine or primate.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

I have just been searching petfinder and may have found the perfect match for Sky for scootering. He is a male Husky Samoyed mix with blue eyes and a fluffy buff coat. He has no tail, so no worries about matting there. He is listed as being medium to low energy and not the playful type. He is listed as pulling on lead. (most people would see that as a bad thing. I see it as a natural plus for scootering and something that can be worked on for walking.) He is a bigger boy at about 65 pounds. He is also within a month or two in age to Sky. The only down sides are that he is untested with cats, has a $300 adoptoon fee, I don't really have the resources for an additional animal right now, he is located about 3 to 4 hours south of here and they state that all pets and family members must come to meet the dog. Our cat would never make the trip, nor would my husband right now. There is also the potential downside of having two dogs so close in age who are already kind of middle aged.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

It this was someone else, I'd thought - well, just toying with an unrealistic idea, because most of the post above is about why this can't work.
But this is someone who wanted to race and did it, despite all the reasons why it couldn't work.
So, I am staying tuned here..... :lol:
bendog

Post by bendog »

I really really wouldn't get another dog *just* for racing. You struggle to give your 2 dogs enough time and exercise sometimes, 3 is even more work and money!
For the sake of him "maybe" enjoying mushing, and you "maybe" getting to a race once a month or less, it doesn't seem worth it to me? Remember you have to keep that dog fed, exercised and entertained outside of races.
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Maybe you could look for someone in a similar situation who doesn't want to actually race but would like to give their dog the opportunity to? I've no idea how realistic that is but if you could find such a dog it would save you a lot of work and expense! It may even be someone who doesn't know they'd like to do this, who just has a dog that they can't exercise as much as they'd like :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

bendog wrote:I really really wouldn't get another dog *just* for racing. You struggle to give your 2 dogs enough time and exercise sometimes, 3 is even more work and money!
For the sake of him "maybe" enjoying mushing, and you "maybe" getting to a race once a month or less, it doesn't seem worth it to me? Remember you have to keep that dog fed, exercised and entertained outside of races.
Says the person with 4 terriers. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trust me, I'm not jumping straight into this. I have way more reasons why this wouldn't work than I have for doing it. But, I guess kind of like terriers :D , scootering is addicting. A 2 dog team is ideal for scootering. Running a one dog team I see why. Sky has dog anxiety issues and the concept of hooking her into harness with a dog she doesn't really know and get along with scares me. I don't think it is fair to ask another person to put their dog at risk of being snarked at. Sirius is not and likely never will be a running mate for Sky. The only way I see around this delima, is finding another dog for my household that is a good match for my two. This fellow seems to have great potential, but I have absolutely no way of acquiring him at this time. I may not have a job come January, my husband is about to have back surgery. and other conflicting issues. I don't have the adoption fee. Even so, I have contacted the rescue to see if they think he would have potential for scootering. If so, I will keep an eye on his posting. If he is still waiting for a home in January or February and other factors have become more stable, I might send in an application and see where that goes.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

Let's take a look at what the Mush with P.R.I.D.E. Sled Dog Care Guidelines have to say about acquiring dogs (say's the guidelines committee chair):
Acquiring Dogs

It is important that you determine your mushing goals before acquiring even a single sled dog. Once your mushing goal is firmly established acquire only those dogs with physical and behavioral attributes that will help you achieve that goal. This will prevent you from acquiring unsuitable dogs that will need to be re-homed later.

Leasing or borrowing dogs may be an option if you aren't sure how committed you are or if you need extra dogs for only one race or one season. Shop carefully, as there are many options. Ensure your lease or loan agreement is clear about who is financially responsible for illnesses or injuries, and remember that borrowed dogs need the same responsible care as the ones you own. Another option is to volunteer to “foster” rescued sled dogs for a sled dog rescue organizations.

When you are ready to establish your own kennel, keep your mushing goal in mind. If your goal is to win sled dog races, it isn’t enough to buy the best dogs you can afford. Instead, you must afford the best dogs you can buy. Today’s sled dog races are extremely competitive. Only teams made up of exceptional dogs can win consistently.

Mushers with more modest goals have a much wider range of options. Experienced sled dogs suitable for a variety of mushing disciplines are frequently available through sled dog rescue organizations or from other mushers in your area who have surplus dogs that need to be re-homed. There are very good dogs available but you have to make sure the dogs you get are the right dogs for you. Don't make the assumption that a dog from a well-known kennel or bloodline will meet your needs. Evaluate the individual dog in relation to your goals. For help in evaluating the health of the dog you are considering acquiring, see the Basic Health Care: Basic Health Examination section.

Another option for building a team is raising puppies yourself if you have the time and energy for this process. Good dogs are easier and probably less expensive to buy than to raise. However, raising puppies is a fulfilling experience if you can afford to do it and have homes for each of the puppies. Breeding sled dogs should be viewed as a way to produce better dogs, not just more dogs.

If you do decide to breed dogs, remember that in less than six months you will have essentially full grown dogs, each needing a house and chain or a pen of its own. For Alaskan huskies, plan on more than six pups per litter. A litter can easily be as many as ten or as few as one. Two litters can therefore produce as many as twenty new dogs!

Before you breed dogs you must do two things: (1) Make a realistic plan for what you will do with every pup that is born. (2) Ensure that the dogs you breed have all the essential characteristics you want. If you don't have the right dogs, buy a good female, buy the service of a good stud, or offer to raise pups for a musher who has high quality dogs. Never breed dogs with any physical or behavioral defects. Undesirable attributes are as likely to be inherited by their offspring as the traits you wish to perpetuate.

Remember that good genes are responsible for only a portion of the final result. Raising excellent sled dogs requires excellent physical care, mental and physical conditioning, socialization and training. The more time you spend with your puppies the better sled dogs they will be.

Both male and female dogs become fertile at six to 12 months of age. The average interval between estrus cycles is about six months, but it varies widely. Some females to come into heat every three to four months, others only once a year. Although a female may be bred in her first heat, many breeders prefer not to because it interrupts her growth and because young dogs can be poor mothers. It is also a good idea not to breed very young dogs so that you can be sure they have the traits you want. Older dogs can be bred, but fertility generally declines after about 10 years of age. Be cautious about breeding females over six years old that have not been bred for two or three years, as they more frequently have problems with whelping.

Be sure the female is adequately vaccinated and wormed before breeding. Be sure to disinfect the puppy pen, doghouse and whelping box before the pups arrive. Pups are usually born 60 to 65 days after the breeding. An experienced veterinarian can often tell if a dog is pregnant by palpating the abdomen 21 to 28 days after breeding. For more information, consult your veterinarian.

A pregnant female will need progressively more food starting the last three weeks of her pregnancy. The female should be in good condition and weight, Do not allow her to become obese, as this can cause trouble during whelping. See the Feeding and Watering section for more information.
Reference: Mush with P.R.I.D.E. Sled Dog Care Guidelines, 3rd edition - downloadable at http://www.mushwithpride.org/Guidelines ... dited1.pdf
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
gwd

Post by gwd »

MPbandmom wrote: I don't have the adoption fee.
it's not just the adoption fee............

if you're seriously thinking of adding another dog then start a doggie fund. put away some money each month and don't even consider the addition until you have a tidy little amount that is well over the adoption fee amount. an extra dog means extra feeding expenses, potential vet bills, and other costs associated with an additional dog.

also, I think you underestimate what a 65lb male that is a 'leash puller' can mean. you already have worries about being pulled over with your current two! if I recall, neither sky nor sirus weighs 65lbs......right?
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

gwd wrote:
MPbandmom wrote: I don't have the adoption fee.
it's not just the adoption fee............

if you're seriously thinking of adding another dog then start a doggie fund. put away some money each month and don't even consider the addition until you have a tidy little amount that is well over the adoption fee amount. an extra dog means extra feeding expenses, potential vet bills, and other costs associated with an additional dog.

also, I think you underestimate what a 65lb male that is a 'leash puller' can mean. you already have worries about being pulled over with your current two! if I recall, neither sky nor sirus weighs 65lbs......right?
Actually I remembered the weight incorrectly, this boy is 85 pounds. It was hard to tell under the fur whether that was an ideal weight for him or not. Yes, I do have concerns in the leash pulling area at that weight. I have also been trying to calculate how much meat he would eat, since he would obviously eat more than my two current ones. You are quite correct that the adoption fee is just the beginning, and just the beginning of funds that I don't currently have, nor forsee having in the near future. My current dog fund goes to current doggie activities and it isn't large enough at that to pay for all the doggie activities I would like to do. For example, I would like to try Sirius at herding, but I can't try her at the herding opportunity in December and do the race in January with Sky. Racing with Sky is a more known thing where I won't likely spend the money and maybe have the dog be totally disinterested in the activity.

There is also the matter that this boy is reported to be head shy and otherwise shy around new people and will likely need some time to adjust to his new people. I already have one dog with people issues, and while this boy seems likely a good match personality wise for my dogs, the degree of his shyness could be a major determining factor in whether I would decide to take him, should anything ever get close to that point.

For the most part, it all boils down to having the money and finding a good match. By the time I accomplish both of these things Sky may be ready to retire. I don't think that necessairly precludes keeping an eye out and studying the plusses and minuses of potential matches.

The options listed under Swanny's post are all good ideas, but again, would require a certain amount of funds not currently available and being able to find the ideal match. Likewise, that still doesn't mean that I shouldn't keep my eyes and ears open when I attend mushing events or dog shows.

After all, my husband came up with enough change to buy a lottery ticket tonight and if he won, I could afford another dog and I could retire from the job that is thinknig about retiring me early anyway and have plenty of time to do things with the dogs. :lol:
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

The next race...... I will not be going to the next race. There are a number of factors that have resulted in this decision. I think the end result will be less short term stress and more time to work out a running mate for Sky, job issues, and other things. They got a great picture of us at the start. We look like we know what we are doing. :lol: :lol: :lol: We will stick to the recreational side of things for the rest of this season. At least I have others to run with now and a chance to get more experience with passing and being passed before we head to the races hopefully again next season.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

The next race......has been rescheduled due to weather. It will now occur in March. This brings it back into the range of possibility. :lol: We shall see when the time gets closer.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Feeling like a failing musher today. We are halfway through mushing season and I think I have had Sky in harness 3 times maybe 4 at most. This is not what I imagined when I finally found a local group to scooter with. I"m fed up with the snow and ice and freezing rain and arctic vortex. I'm tired of seeing people scootering at times that just plain don't fit with my schedule. (That is certainly not the fault of the people who are able to find time within their schedules to scooter.) I'm tired of the long distances/gas usage/road tolls required to join in most of the mushing activities in this area. This area being one or two states to the north. With the one state to the north requiring travel practically to the southern border of the second state to the north.

I'm tired of running a potentially dog reactive dog and feeling like I have to keep her far away from all other dogs and not really knowing if she can be run in a group to pass and be passed without turning "allegator." (Or trying to get the passing dogs to play with her :roll: )

I am thinking I would like to have the experience of sledding while mushing, but again, that would require traveling at least two states to the north and finding someone willing to let me try their sled. There is a skijor and sled race next month, which doesn't mean I would be able to try sledding, it just means I could see sledding up close and personal. (and probably freeze at the same time :lol: )

I love my dogs and I love to watch Sky run, but I long for freedom to just relax and enjoy the dog mushing sports.
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

I only rarely race my dogs, and then it is just small, local fun-races that give us a chance to see some new trails and do some exciting new things without the pressure of having to be "competitive". I know a pretty fair number of mushers, some who were doing quite well, who suddenly resigned from the competitive end of the sport simply saying that "racing wasn't fun anymore."

One of the problems of training for and competing in sled dog races seems to be that at some point, usually during the middle of any given season, you can count on either dogs going sour, or their musher going sour. We can do a lot to help a sour dogs. We can run then on new or different routes or places, we can give them a few days off in the training regimen, changing up the pace, focusing on gee/haw work rather than mileage (or vice versa), just about anything that is different than what we were doing before. Helping a sour musher is very much the same.

The first step is recognizing what it is that has you feeling sour. It looks to me like you've done that - so now treat yourself like you'd treat a sour dog. Do things differently than you were doing before. You want to learn to run a team on a sled? Let me know and I'll try to steer you to some really good mushers who specialize in tours and/or training new mushers. It could be well worth the money, you'll learn a heck of a lot more in a lot shorter period of time, you'll meet and actually be able to interact with some excellent dogs and it will certainly help you decide what direction, if any, you wish to take your own team. That's a lot more fun and a lot more educational than just watching a bunch of folks launch at the start, waiting around in the cold, and then watching them cross the finish line. Seriously, dog mushing is a GREAT participatory sport, but it's boring as all get out for most spectators.

You want to do recreational scootering on your own turf, without the transportation hassles and stresses of racing? Experimenting and learning on your own? That's no problem, the only roadblock is your own expectation.

Recreational mushing, whether on snow or dryland, is all about the dogs. Racing is largely about the mushers, and our egos. There is NO law that says you have to compete to be a dog musher - and some of the very best dog men and dog women on the trails never compete in races.

Give yourself a break and quit beating up on yourself. Go out and just have FUN with Sky. Let the rest of it just fall into place as it will. You and Sky will both be much happier if you do.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

We did have a pretty nice run today.

Pictures were posted of the group that went up to the race site. It looks like they had loads of fun. I am noticing a few mixed sammy and husky teams. Some of the samoyeds do sledding and have participated in Mush for a Cure in the past. So, that might be a possible way to try a little sledding with Sky. While I am certain getting with the right person would be well worth the money, unfortunately most of my difficulties seem to be due to the lack of funds, so that too won't be in the forseeable future.

The Pennsylvania Sled Dog Association is raffling off a rig like the top samoyed racer here runs with. It looks pretty cool and I might buy a ticket. I won't likely jump to be the first to buy a ticket and if they all sell out before I get one, I won't be greatly dissappointed. I must confess that my motivation for any racing I may do, is the comraderie of the other club members, and a chance to run my dog in a new environment. I am not competetive. I don't anticipate that I will ever be competetive. We don't train for a race, but rather consider it a recreational run in another setting. It would just be nice to be able to do these things on a more regular basis and without then feeling guilty about blowing funds that probably should be put to other use.

My mother pays me to clean her house once a month. That is my dog activity fund. Entrance fees and such things are usually doable out of this fund. The gas to get to the activities is not. I try not to use more than a half tank of gas out of the van a month. Driving to where these activities are burns a half a tank or more just in one trip. Which then cuts into other areas of the household budget. Which is why I then end up feeling guilty about going out and having fun with the dogs and my friends. I could probably get a second job, but then I wouldn't have the time to do things with the dogs and my friends. I choose time over funds. It would be nice to not have to choose one over the other, but life is full of compromises and setting of priorities. The right decision isn't always the most fun or preferred decision.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Well, another scootering season is pretty well past. It has been an interesting year of firsts, our first race, our first group runs. I find myself totally on the fence as to what to do next year. I love Sky dearly. Sky loves to run. It seems like the perfect combination, and yet I find myself wondering if running in harness is the ideal activity for Sky.

There are the short neighborhood runs. Sky tends to treat these as more of a her speed walk to sniff and mark than an actual run. She seems to really enjoy these outings.

There was the race. She ran reasonably well, but didn't really pull on the uphill grades. Once we got moving she seemed fine, but waiting to get hooked up, lined up, and for our turn to go, she seemed to be a basket case. Trembling all over, sitting stiffly, with a wild look on her face. This could have been partially induced by my stress levels because there didn't seem to be any "safe" place in the starting area to get her away from barkey or even silent dogs.

There are the club scootering runs along the canal. She has run well. She has proven to me that she can go the distances that in the past I looked at as being too far for an occasional, recreational, weekend kind of thing. She has passed and been passed by the sammies with no to minimal issues. She once gave obvious consideration to making a u turn to go back and say hi to one of them, but then continued on her way with instruction to keep going. She has had one snark at them when two of them approached her face on, one on either side of her at a water stop. The snark may have been due to feeling surrounded or to resource guarding her water. When we arrived at the halfway point and took a break, I kept her separated from the other dogs and she whined non-stop the entire time we were there. I'm not sure if she was whining wanting to go see the other dogs, or the people.

Someone on here made a comment that there is a difference in wanting to go and check out a dog as opposed to wanting to go and greet a dog. I think my being unaware of this distinction for years caused a lot of my earlier confusion with Sky in that she seemed so friendly like she wanted to meet every dog we passed, but then was totally unpredictable in her reaction to the other dog upon meeting. Now I know, but keeping her away from the other dogs only seems to be heightening her anxiety. I no longer feel like I can let her greet other dogs, because I know she might react badly and that isn't fair to the other dogs. It is getting to where I am questioning taking her out into club gatherings even though, there have only been 3 instances of her getting a little snarkey at another dog and most of the dogs she seems to get along well with. Waiting for all of the dogs to arrive for the club get togethers is similar to waiting at the start of the sprint race except there is usually plenty of space. She still gets very worked up even to the point of visibly trembling and I have yet to determine if she is excited to see her "friends" coming or if she is just absolutely stressed out about being in the presence of all those dogs and not being allowed to greet any of them until after we have been walking together for a while. Even then the greetings are closely monitored for any stiffness on her part and kept very short.

It isn't like she is the only dog in the club to get occasionally snarkey, but attending club functions with one or the other reactive dog, even though my dogs usually do really well in the group, is really starting to make me feel like I am walking around with a shark on the end of the leash rather than a reactive dog. I feel obligated to tell people my dogs have issues with other dogs/people. Some of the club members are starting to recognize the two dogs. People seem more wary of Sky than they do Sirius. Sirius especially has been really good with the samoyeds. She truly seems to think they are her people. She just reacts badly to some of the people in the club and to any other dog we may happen to see while out and about with the group. Maybe the presence of the sammys heightens her tension and even though she doesn't react poorly to them, it may intensify her reaction to other dogs we come across. Sky seems to get worked up around the sammys, but doesn't seem to really react any differently to them than she typically does other dogs, with the exception of the trembling that she sometimes does.

Then there are the ducks, geese, and driftwood in the canal. Once Sky saw the first duck, everything else in the canal was suspected waterfowl. This meant I had to issue a lot of on by commands. Sky is very sensitive and doesn't do well with being given a lot of commands. I think for the ducks, I am going to try to take her to the canal this off season for short on lead walks. Hopefully that will help her learn that the ducks and such aren't for chasing and it will be done in short and small enough sections that she doesn't totally stress out. The idea being to prepare her to run next season along the canal without her wanting to chase all of the waterfowl.

There are enough people with multiple samoyeds that I could probably borrow a samoyed for any of the outings and for scootering. It has been suggested where the scootering is concerned. But where does that leave my two? I feel like I really don't get either one of them out like I should as it is. If I were to start running another dog, then that would be more time taken away from time with my two. At the same time, spending time with a "normal" dog is very enticing. The chance to just relax and enjoy the company of a dog. To not have to be on high alert at all times. Or maybe that fantasy state doesn't exist once one has owned a reactive dog. I know the one day I handled one of the samoyeds I was still on high alert, because I was handling an unfamiliar dog who was known to get snarkey with un-nutered males and we were surrounded by dogs of unknown sex or sexual status, or even potential reactivity status. I have recently learned that some people consider the snarkieness of males with other males to be normal and others consider it to be bad temperament. I am also learning which dogs in the club are considered to have good temperaments and where I should be setting my sights should I decide to buy a puppy in a few years.

None of which really helps me figure out whether I am doing the right thing by taking my dogs on the various group outings. I feel like we can't hide out and avoid other dogs and people forever. That really only seems possible during the winter around here and even then it is hit or miss. I am going to try to spend more time with Sky actually working on some counter conditioning type of exercises. I have finally found treats that she will eat when out and about. My main confusion is how to separate excitement responses from anxiety responses. I have learned that distances like I maintain with Sirius, also help to keep Sky in a more calm state. Where Sirius may be more likely to lunge and snap, Sky just seems to go out of her mind, charging off in random directions or circles as her leash may allow. Alternately, she may stand and stare and tremble or whine. She whines a lot. She will whine riding in the van, sometimes for the whole trip. She has a variety of whine sounds and these seem to be her main "words" that she uses to communicate. If we don't listen properly to the whines, she is knows to escalate to barking, or if she gets really excited she will also bark. She seems most stressed out over barking dogs. Maybe that is where I should start with the counter conditioning, although her usual response is to want to bolt, so she may be too far over threshold, so maybe I should start with seeing dogs.