Veterinarians - Choosing one and First check ups

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

AliceGrimm

Veterinarians - Choosing one and First check ups

Post by AliceGrimm »

So, I will be a new dog owner, which means I do not have a veterinarian.
What I have been doing so far is asking pet owners I know, who they go to and why they like them.

But I was wondering if you guys had any advice on how to pick the right vet for you and your dog.

Because I am getting a puppy from a breeder, they want me to go to a vet to check for any health concerns, and I think this is important no matter where you get a puppy. A health check should
Also, what should a first check up include?

If I recall, it is always good to bring in a poop sample for them.. But I am not sure.

What else should someone expect and what else should be apart of the process? I assume it also depends on the breed.
Like I am getting a Miniature Schnauzer, so I assume there should be some type of eye examination?
Shalista

Re: Veterinarians - Choosing one and First check ups

Post by Shalista »

Can't really contribute here, i just go to the same vet my family has for years. i will mention though that you should make sure you like the techs there to, not just the vet. Bax never really sees the vet but he sees the techs constantly (he gets his nails done there). They've been a huge part of his socialization and he LOVES going there because of them. They always stop for pets and to say hello and, despite his anxiety and fear issues, the vets is one place he will ALWAYS be outgoing and social because of them.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

Shalista wrote: i will mention though that you should make sure you like the techs there to, not just the vet. Bax never really sees the vet but he sees the techs constantly (he gets his nails done there). They've been a huge part of his socialization and he LOVES going there because of them. They always stop for pets and to say hello and, despite his anxiety and fear issues, the vets is one place he will ALWAYS be outgoing and social because of them.
Thank you!! I really appreciate this. I never would have thought about that.. but I can definitely see how it is important and makes a huge difference.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Usually first checkups are for obvious problems. A schnauzer's eye conditions are the type that develop over time, not something you'll see in a puppy unless there is a major problem.

I chose my current vet because I was impressed with them when taking a dogsitting client's dog in. Asking around with pet owners is a good idea. If you know or have chosen a trainer for your puppy class, I'd ask them too - they may know which vets offices are better with handling dogs in an appropriate manner.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

Erica wrote:Usually first checkups are for obvious problems. A schnauzer's eye conditions are the type that develop over time, not something you'll see in a puppy unless there is a major problem.

I chose my current vet because I was impressed with them when taking a dogsitting client's dog in. Asking around with pet owners is a good idea. If you know or have chosen a trainer for your puppy class, I'd ask them too - they may know which vets offices are better with handling dogs in an appropriate manner.
Well the breeder I am going for, has a five year guarantee for such generic issues. And I think they show up around the age of two to three. But I should only really expect a basic check up?

Ooo how do you choose a puppy class? Can puppies around 9 weeks go to ones? I am still so afraid of the puppy getting parvo. :?
Hmmm I know you have to visit classes to see what you like... but what should I look for that way?
Erica

Post by Erica »

AliceGrimm wrote:Well the breeder I am going for, has a five year guarantee for such generic issues. And I think they show up around the age of two to three. But I should only really expect a basic check up?

Ooo how do you choose a puppy class? Can puppies around 9 weeks go to ones? I am still so afraid of the puppy getting parvo. :?
Hmmm I know you have to visit classes to see what you like... but what should I look for that way?
Yes - unless you have any specific concerns, they'll probably just do a pretty normal exam - check eyes/ears/teeth, make sure there's no obvious pain or malformation over the body, check heart and lungs with a stethoscope, check for fever...that's probably something to ask a vet as well. I'm not one so I don't know, but from what I remember it was a pretty normal check up.

Our classes ask that people have their puppy for at least a week before they come to class, so they have time to bond with the dog and see if the pup is bringing any viruses or parasites home. Puppy classes should be in a room that is easily cleaned, so any accidents can be sterilized. I would look for a class specifically for small breed puppies if there's puppy playtime, or at least a separation based on size; the difference in size between our smallest and largest puppies is astonishing and I can't imagine letting them play together would end well.

You want to see a class with an instructor you like, firstly. You may see them making adjustments to training based on the dog - eg one dog might be taught to lie down one way, but if another isn't having success with that way the trainer has a different idea to try. You don't want to see physical pushing/pulling from the instructor, or hear them telling people to push their dog into a sit etc. The instructor should be checking how the owners are doing with training, not just lecturing and assuming everyone's doing it correctly.

I like classes where the puppies play with each other; it allows the instructors to see any potential issues with dog/dog interactions and address them while the puppy is young. If there is playtime, the instructor should be watching carefully to make sure play is appropriate; you may see them split up a pair of puppies and match them with others, or even separate puppies into different groups, divided by a barrier, based on playstyle or personality. Some instructors prefer not to let the puppies play, so they learn to focus on their owners. This seems to be a personal choice for now, as I haven't seen research either way. But a vast, vast majority of our puppies are pretty focused on their owners even though they get to play too, and when we do obstacles we have a room of eight or nine puppies off-leash, staying with their people!

The short version is: go to a few different classes, see which ones you like the feel of more, take notes to compare them. An instructor should welcome your questions, though they may be busy at the time and ask you to email or call them later. I would not attend a class that doesn't allow you to sit in on a session! The puppies should mostly be happy (there are some pups with bad genes/starts in life that may not feel comfortable at first), and the instructor should seem like they like puppies and people and be nice to both.
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

Erica wrote:The short version is: go to a few different classes, see which ones you like the feel of more, take notes to compare them. An instructor should welcome your questions, though they may be busy at the time and ask you to email or call them later. I would not attend a class that doesn't allow you to sit in on a session! The puppies should mostly be happy (there are some pups with bad genes/starts in life that may not feel comfortable at first), and the instructor should seem like they like puppies and people and be nice to both.
Omg.. Thank you so much! I will definitely do that!!!

I think the breeder I am getting my puppy from would like to wait until the puppy is 9 weeks old. Does that mean a weak after (around 10 weeks) would still be okay to take the puppy to classes?

I think a week of bonding does sound like a good idea. And the puppy probably needs to feel comfortable.

So classes won't mind if you sit in on them to see if you like them?
Erica

Post by Erica »

Yep, starting at 10 weeks should be fine!

A class should welcome someone who's doing research ahead of time :) Obviously you ask the trainer ahead of time and not just show up randomly, but as long as you're unobtrusive yep sitting in on a class should be fine! I went to a few before I chose one. I was almost tempted to go to two, but the second was a fairly long drive away and not quite as perfect as the one we went with. (Now I'm working for the company we went to puppy class for :) )
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

Erica wrote:Yep, starting at 10 weeks should be fine!

A class should welcome someone who's doing research ahead of time :) Obviously you ask the trainer ahead of time and not just show up randomly, but as long as you're unobtrusive yep sitting in on a class should be fine! I went to a few before I chose one. I was almost tempted to go to two, but the second was a fairly long drive away and not quite as perfect as the one we went with. (Now I'm working for the company we went to puppy class for :) )

That is amazing!!!! Congratulations!!! (I am assuming it is a wonderful thing).

I hope I find my perfect place like that. I had a guest speaker in class that said you can turn what you study into your passion. I am trying to finish up an actuarial degree. And this speaker he said... insurance is every where. Like say you like cabinets, there is insurance for people who make it or cover it. And then I thought about cute puppies and family pets and pet insurance. And I have been reading so many unhappy pet owners.

So maybe if I go that direction, I can help change pet insurance for the better.

I hope I can find a good class. Thank you so much for your advice!!
At least now I know more of what to expect and to look for!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

When you observe puppy classes, go with your gut instinct - if anything vaguely bothers you, give it some good thought, because your instincts will be sound. Inexperience should not make you waver as often inexperience gives clarity. You need to major on empathy. Do you like what those puppies are learning? Do they look happy while they are learning it? Do the owners look as if they are gaining confidence? If you were a puppy, how would you feel about .......? Is this what you want your puppy to do? Is this how you want your puppy to look while s/he is doing it?

And most of all, as has been said by Erica - does the instructor look as if s/he likes puppies?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

Nettle wrote:When you observe puppy classes, go with your gut instinct - if anything vaguely bothers you, give it some good thought, because your instincts will be sound. Inexperience should not make you waver as often inexperience gives clarity. You need to major on empathy. Do you like what those puppies are learning? Do they look happy while they are learning it? Do the owners look as if they are gaining confidence? If you were a puppy, how would you feel about .......? Is this what you want your puppy to do? Is this how you want your puppy to look while s/he is doing it?

And most of all, as has been said by Erica - does the instructor look as if s/he likes puppies?

Thank you so much!!! I have been going off a lot of instinct at the moment.

Could the same be applied to finding the right vet and the techs?

Erm.. I am running into problems with finding good puppy schools near me. At least for this age group. So my options may be limited. But I will keep looking! And perhaps I can ask vets around the area if they know of ones I haven't been able to find.

Thank you all so much!!!