Excessive licking??

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ScarletSci

Excessive licking??

Post by ScarletSci »

So for the last couple of weeks, Pixie has been licking my skin a lot. This is new, apart from the odd kisses, she wasn't a big 'licker'. She seems to try to do it more often in the evenings, and will try to lick any exposed skin, so my legs if I'm wearing a dress or shorts, or my arms or neck if she can get to me! When I've tried to discourage her from licking my arms, she'll move to my legs, and persist in trying - it's worrying me because it's a change in character, and because there's an almost compulsive element to it - I'm not sure what to make of it, but clearly I want it to stop, since it's not pleasant to be bathed in dog saliva.

If I tell her more firmly to stop, she will, but will give me the spaniel eyes, and is clearly unhappy about it.

Any ideas on what's driving her behaviour? Right now I'm putting it down to a combination of her season, and the fact it's been hot probably means my skin is salty tasting, and shes using me as a human salt lick. Which is weird.

Also keeping an eye on my moles and excema, in case she's telling me something is wrong! That's the least likely reason, but always worth bearing in mind!

In terms of handling it, I'm thinking of treating it like puppy mouthing, and distracting her with something else when she goes into the licking zone. Have been making the dogs some frozen treats because of the hot weather, so those could come in handy as well.

Any other thoughts and ideas? Worth mentioning when she next goes to the vet?
ckranz

Re: Excessive licking??

Post by ckranz »

I would make sure she is getting enough water, but with it being hot we do become somewhat of a mobile salt lick for our dogs
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Thanks ckranz :D

She does drink plenty, since she's very active. I change her water about a dozen times a day since she prefers it either straight from the tap, or a more, ahem *vintage* flavour from any old puddles she finds. Obviously I'd prefer her to go for the fresh stuff!

Will just keep up the distractions and multiple showers then!
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Just to update for anyone interested, that licking phase passed, so seems likely it was a side effect of her season, hormone changes or looking for comfort or something like that.