Leather harness

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

delladooo

Leather harness

Post by delladooo »

I'm considering getting matching soft leather collar, lead, harness set for Laufey once he's stopped growing but I just wanted to get opinions on leather harnesses, would it rub?

I've looked online and found this site http://www.dog-harnesses-store.co.uk/in ... x&cPath=82 but the only one like what I'm looking for (similar to what he has now) is the handcraft luxury one but it only seems to be for larger dogs and I definitely don't want something with a chest plate or a pulling harness. I was thinking of getting one custom made in the very soft leather - like the Wainwright's brown leather dog collar and lead - but would need to do more research into finding a leather worker with reasonable prices as I've not really looked yet.

So, thoughts on leather harnesses?
WufWuf

Re: Leather harness

Post by WufWuf »

Emmabeth makes custom leather gear, you could give her a shout :D
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Ooo!! You learn something new every day! I might just do that. I'm in no immediate rush because I want to make sure he's stopped growing first but I wanted to get an idea of how much I'd need to save and couldn't find anywhere I liked the look of :mrgreen:
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I dooooo indeed make custom leather gear - depending on the size of the dog it is most likely to be slightly more than the prices in the link you posted - but it really is made to measure and with better quality leather than those are. Definitely wait until you are sure you have your dogs adult sizing, as a harness made to measure is an investment and should last the lifetime of your dog under normal use!

Ah I've just spotted that yours is pug x poodle so scratch the above, not likely to be more than those linked!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

OO good to know!
I'll definitely get in contact with you once I'm sure he's stopped growing - he's about 8 months now and I don't think he'll get much bigger but I want to be sure. I'm also currently trying to decide if I want a step in one or one similar to what he's in now so I think it needs slightly more thought - I'm probably just being fussy about it :lol: