Video photography as a training tool

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Swanny1790

Video photography as a training tool

Post by Swanny1790 »

I thought I'd just throw this out there as a tip.

Those training for dog sports such as canicross, bikejoring, skijoring, scootering and those training working or sporting dogs of all sorts may find a lot of value in recording video of your training sessions. Things that trigger behaviors happen very quickly, and if you aren't focused right on that particular dog at that particular moment you may never know what that trigger might have been.

When running sled dogs, I have to divide my attention to the trail, to the gangline, the individual tug-lines, to the team as a unit, to an individual dog, and back almost constantly. In some regards it's as complicated as task as driving an unfamiliar car. It is inevitable that when something happens my focus is likely to be somewhere else. By recording video of my training runs I can review those little incidents (like "how in the heck did Grace get into a neck line tangle) and see what happened. That allows me to identify issues that can be addressed in future training sessions.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
Ari_RR

Re: Video photography as a training tool

Post by Ari_RR »

Yes... I don't train for sports, but still I think it will be of great benefit, for example, to even review a walk in the park where we meet different dogs, and try to see why he ignored some dogs, sniffed others, played, or growled, etc..

But I haven't done any research on what kind of video camera can be used for this. I need both hands to steer the dog, so it ought to be the camera that is attached to.... To what? Head mounted, i would guess, right?....Any thoughts on what kind of equipment exists out there?
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

I use the ContourGPS on their headband mount. The GPS features provides additional data I find useful. http://store.contour.com/ae/us/page/home.

A lot of dog mushers prefer to GoPro products. http://gopro.com/
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
elisa

Post by elisa »

We've got a GoPro camera. Mostly we use it for ski and cycling stuff, but have shot a few dog stuff with it too. You can attach it pretty much anywhere. A "helmet cam/head mount" might get a few looks while walking a dog. :D Maybe as a necklace sort of thing for shooting walks and then one could point it at dogs interacting without attracting a lot of attention.

I saw a clip where one was hanging on a great dane's neck at a dog park. Could work for Ari too, but my pup is too small to have it hanging on her neck. :) This way of course you don't see what your dog is doing on the film. You could get the dog perspective on the walks. I think I saw a clip like that where the cam was on a small dog and then people coming at her looked really scary.

I've shot some of the training I do with Ansa and it is quite interesting to see how I interact with her. So it is worth also getting video of yourself and not just the dog. :)
The best friend of Ansa the sprollie since autumn 2010.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnsaTheSprollie
Train with your brain. :)
minkee

Post by minkee »

That could have been this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAjgLeDCJlU :D
elisa

Post by elisa »

Yes, minkee that is the one with the small dog.

The great dane is here: http://vimeo.com/35616659#at=0 What is actually interesting in this one is seeing how the small dogs look at the great dane. :) This one was shot with two GoPro cams apparently. You can shoot at 60 fps and then slow it down to catch stuff better.
The best friend of Ansa the sprollie since autumn 2010.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnsaTheSprollie
Train with your brain. :)
minkee

Post by minkee »

Wow! I got 2 things from that - 1) it's really neat to see up close and personal from the dog's view and 2) Dog Parks are a terrifying place to be!!
gwd

Post by gwd »

minkee wrote:Wow! I got 2 things from that - 1) it's really neat to see up close and personal from the dog's view and 2) Dog Parks are a terrifying place to be!!
and, perpetuating the stereotype, labradoodles are quite forward in their play style.

but i agree, it was a masterfully done video and the editing was awesome. i envy those of you with artistic ability, i could 'f' up a stick figure!
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Ari_RR wrote:Yes... I don't train for sports, but still I think it will be of great benefit, for example, to even review a walk in the park where we meet different dogs, and try to see why he ignored some dogs, sniffed others, played, or growled, etc..

But I haven't done any research on what kind of video camera can be used for this. I need both hands to steer the dog, so it ought to be the camera that is attached to.... To what? Head mounted, i would guess, right?....Any thoughts on what kind of equipment exists out there?
I would all depend on what you want to film.

I have been wanting to spring for a video camera to even just record and re watch later simply training sessions such basic sit, down, roll over stuff. Our dogs react to use on more than the cue's we are wanting them to react to. watching the video play back and critiquing our self or even having someone more experienced critiquing can be a good tool for learning. were you sending mixed signals, were asking the dog to come closer than is currently comfortable, are you leaning over the dog when you shouldn't be and on and on and on.

So you are 100% correct, there is value for this idea outside of dog sports.