Long leash

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

lucyandbella

Long leash

Post by lucyandbella »

I already use a 30 ft long leash for recall training and when I go on hikes with my two dogs. It is a very sturdy leash, cotton web and an inch thick. But now I am looking for a 50 ft leash for Frisbee practice for Bella. She is fear aggressive and must be on leash at all times in public areas. I have found a large flat grassy area that has few people walking by, but still on occasion someone could walk by. So I decided to look at 50 ft long lines but the problem is they are made from a different material from long lines I have been using. These seem like thin ropes and I am not sure how they hold up, has anyone used one? The ones I am looking at are similar to this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... 3B+Leashes but a different brand.

On the plus side it is light weight and wouldn't be as much of a drag as a one inch cotton web one is. I had no idea Bella even liked Frisbee until I was walking her by an Ultimate Frisbee practice today. At first she was nervous by the large amount of people but then they started practicing their throws and she went crazy, tail wagging, barking and lunging on her leash to go catch one! She rarely gets this excited about something so I definitely want to get her catching Frisbees but I first need to make it safe for her. Do you think a 50 ft long leash like this is a good idea? Especially since it seems flimsy? The other option is getting another 30 ft long leash and attaching the two, unfortunately there is no fenced in area I can take her to and my yard isn't even big enough to play fetch in. A really long leash is my only option at this point.
gwd

Re: Long leash

Post by gwd »

i've made all of my own long lines. ........

find a sporting good store that carries climbing equipment.........then buy webbing. it's sold by the foot so you can pick whatever length you want.

http://www.campmor.com/bluewater-1-clim ... w={keyword}

it's very, VERY strong and it's light weight. then i'd take the webbing, and a sturdy snap clip to a shoe repair place. have them sew the clip in one end and fashion you a handle in the other

the link i've posted is for 1" webbing but it also comes in 2" if you think you need it wider. but even the 1" has a 4000 lbf tensile strength
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Not to do with the leash, but Zak George has a ton of interesting videos about Disc Dogs

youtube.com/zakgeorge21
--dontpugme
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Country Brook Designs also sells webbing of various types in bulk if you want a price comparison. I'm not sure about the strength ratings. Strength wasn't something I was particularly concerned about as I would be flying off of my feet way before any type of long line might break. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The flimsy polypropelene 50" training lines are just that, very flimsey. I had Sky on one and hooked her to my mom's scooter, (bad idea it turned out.) Sky decided to take off, spun my mom around and pretty well ripped out the line. It didn't totally break, but it is bad enough that I won't use it again.

I made a 100' line for Sky to play fetch at the beach using a hank of brightly colored rope from the hardware store. Marine rope would also work. I tied a clip to one end and tied a handle into the other end. I also placed knots every few feet, so that I could step on the line if necessary. Fortuately Sky is usually very focused on me when playing fetch and I don't usually overthrow the line. When I do, I just drop the line because I know she will grab the ball and come running back to me and I can gather the line back. If she were to hit the end of the line, I would go flying and probably have an injured shoulder to boot. You want to make certain that you have enough line that the dog won't reach the end.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

If you're not into making your own and just want to buy one, I have used this ebay seller in the past to buy my long line for Piper. Price isn't bad (though I'm sure not as good as making it yourself :wink: ), and shipping is free. Just another option for you. :wink: :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LONG-DOG-TRAINI ... 5195f445a1
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11