harnesses and calming signals

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MPbandmom

harnesses and calming signals

Post by MPbandmom »

I am reading the Calming Signals book. I had already been aware that my dog's aren't keen on having things put over their heads and the padded pulling/urban trails harnesses that I use for walking and scootering go on over their heads. The dog's aren't horribly distressed by it, but I will have Sirius rub around and duck and dodge until she settles down enough and I catch her collar with one hand and slip the harness over her head with the other. Once that's done, I get a lip lick or two and then it's all buckled and she is at the door ready for her leash and to go.

Sky is a little tricker. I suspect her harness isn't as good of a fit as Sirius' I ordered them from two different web sites and the measuring instructions for the site I ordered Sirius' from seemed much more clear and somewhat different from how I had measured for Sky's harness. I have debated remeasuring her and ordering a second harness from the same site that Sirius' came from. Sky will duck and dodge and hide behind me and give lots of frozen play bows and then when I reach towards her with the harness, she will jump backwards. This goes on for a minute or so before she decides to get close enough for me to hold her collar and slip her harness over her head. She usually doesn't display any other calming signals once the harness is actually on, but stands for the buckles to be snapped and then gives a woodle invitation of lets get going now and turns and jumps over to the door.

I do all of this from a neeling position on the floor, so I'm not bending over them.

I am thinking that perhaps for summer camp when they will be playing in water and such, that a second harness of perhaps a different design and quick drying mighty be a good idea. I'm thinking I could add padding to some form of store bought harness since I would likely be adding belly bands as well depending on the fit of the harness. (not knitted as I have decided that doesn't really work very well, but rather the more traditional polar fleece)

Should I look for something that doesn't go over their heads, or look for something similar to what they have now? Should I be doing some desensitazion activities with the dogs and the harnesses going over their heads, or are their reactions minimal enough to not be overly concerned about since the reward for getting the harness put on is to go outside for an adventure. If I should be doing desentisization exercises should I switch to a harness that doesn't go over their heads in the meantime? I don't want to walk the dogs on their collars as Sky has a very sensitive choke reflex and I'm generally not crazy about the idea of collars on their necks so tightly as to be impossible to slip their head's out of.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
minkee

Re: harnesses and calming signals

Post by minkee »

I just have a little quick thing to add - sometimes when I go to put Scout's harness on she'll shy away, and then bend her body as far away as possible when I clip it up. I think at some point one of us must have accidently caught some of her skin in the buckle when doing it up. I make very sure now that that won't happen.

If you go for desensitisation there are 2 videos by kikopup here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7edMjwEY1c and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7eRPlJ4CiU here. All very obvious, but sometimes I find watching something helps to get me motivated :)
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Ted is ok with having his harness put on but he doesn't love it, and I do get the odd calming signal from him, I'm not sure if a change of harness would make a difference as he has a few different ones for various things and there isn't one that is noticeably different in terms of "saddling him up :lol: ". I used to pop his harness on in the lounge kneeling by him (queue bouncing around, play bowing etc) but what I have found works best is to just pop it on in different locations, sometimes just before we go out, sometimes before I get ready. So some mornings he's barely out of bed and it's on before he has time to think, others I sit at the top of the stairs (second floor flat) with it as I put my shoes on and he gets on my lap and is much happier having it put on (not that I suggest you do this :lol: ) etc etc.

So maybe mix up where you put it on her and how you position yourself :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Thanks for the video links Minike. I might try some of that. I haven't put the dog's harnesses on them since I fell on the stairs Saturday, and as I am starting to regain some flexibility, it might be good to work on harness training until I feel like loading them in the car and driving them somewhere again.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.