Help with leaping dog

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

marie estey

Help with leaping dog

Post by marie estey »

I have a half lab half husky. He's 7 months old and has been threw obedience classes as passed. When on walks he's amazing till we get in the drive way he's a complete nightmare. He leaps at me grabs the leash and pulls on it. i've tried a head collar and it made him 100% worse. I do not want this to become a habit. I had broke him of it once and I do not know why it came back. He gets tons of exerciser and has a ton of mentally stimulating toys. We do cliker training and nothing I do not seems to get him to stop this jumping at me. its gotten to the point where he hasn't been able to get the leash so he tried to bite me and has succeeded.
JudyN

Re: Help with leaping dog

Post by JudyN »

How did you 'break him of it' in the first place? To be honest, if a lab/husky cross of that age is good for the rest of the walk, you've already got a lot to be proud of, and you only have a few yards to work on!

Do you think he's doing this because he doesn't want the walk to end? If he's food motivated, I'm wondering if you could throw delicious treats along the length of the drive and into the house. Then give him something really special when you get in, so in future when you come home from a walk he'll be focused on getting inside. Possibly getting out a 'special toy' that is only played with when you get home could be another route. Throw it ahead of you towards the door, ask him to get it, throw it again.... then play with it when you get inside.

Another approach - do you have a fence you could loop his lead round when he kicks off? Then you could turn your back on him and ignore him till he calms, and then praise him for being calm. If he kicks off again, ignore him again... and again, and again, even if it takes half an hour to get to your front door! Alternatively, could you stand on his lead to ignore him, without him pulling you over?

My dog was actually worse about jumping up towards the end of a longer walk, so you might want to experiment with shorter walks.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
marie estey

Re: Help with leaping dog

Post by marie estey »

I have no fence. He's wicked food motivated. He's a good dog with habits that I do not like. I'm glad for some of this advice. Short walks make him worse coming home longer ones he's not as bad. I could def try throwing treats and rewarding with a special toy at the end. I think I will try this on saturaday since I have the whole day off.