Bought a martingale collar!

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

4thedawgs

Bought a martingale collar!

Post by 4thedawgs »

I will admit that i've used prongs on Josie which was advised by my trainer and other working dog trainers out there.

However I've decided to go and get a martingale collar with a loop like this http://store.humanesociety.org/fullsize/134/87 If Josie is in a sitting position and is about to break her stay because she sees another dog or person coming towards us i can easily hold onto the loop part, she seems to listen better with that than being on a prong. Her drive does go up when she is on a prong i've noticed.

It is also refreshing that i found out a certain working dog trainer/breeder that i've for GSDs and Mals have advise people on their website not to use prongs anymore. I think even the working dog folks are starting to see that there are better tools to use out there they are starting to lean towards positive re enforcement methods.

I will say that prongs do cause pain because if i'm not paying attention and Josie decides to pull because something caught her attention she'll start screaming. So no more prongs for us and i think after using martingale she focuses better :).
Suzette

Re: Bought a martingale collar!

Post by Suzette »

Good for you ditching the prong collar!! :D :D

I like martingale collars mainly because the dog cannot turn around and back out of this type of collar. To me, if you're not using a harness, then the martingale keeps your dog much safer than a regular collar and is quite humane. :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11