aging min pin -- needs new audible "come" command

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

pigsrule1969

aging min pin -- needs new audible "come" command

Post by pigsrule1969 »

I have an 7.5 lb 14.5 year old Min Pin that I have had since she was barely 7 weeks old. She had developed a cataract in her right eye about a year ago and more recently developed what my vet believes to be glaucoma in her right eye, due to her age my vet has urged me against any type of surgery (we tried steroid eye drops that helped for about 2 weeks, then became useless in potency) and she has been checked regularly and shows zero discomfort -- she manages to catch shadows of squirrels if they pass right in her line of vision) but typically can only pick up shadows/shapes (apparently I now resemble the bush in the front yard - :)

i have been trying to re-train her from verbal commands of "come" to an audible sound, and snapping my fingers seems to work as she picked up on it quickly, the problem is that my fingers get tired and i end up just going over to her and picking her up (we live on 8 acres and she loves to roam our front yard and is ALWAYS supervised). she is very mobile and active still and a happy little dog, but was hoping for an idea of an audible sound to get her to be able to find me easier? i thought about trying a "clicker" but dont want to go through treat type training.. any help would be greatly appreciated
Nettle

Re: aging min pin -- needs new audible "come" command

Post by Nettle »

Try a whistle.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
pigsrule1969

Re: aging min pin -- needs new audible "come" command

Post by pigsrule1969 »

@nettle, thanks for that tip.. gonna try and see what response.. :)