Lead stroking

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lotsaquestions

Re: Lead stroking

Post by Lotsaquestions »

I've tried all sorts of calming products, and I am not sure if they made any difference ( was never noticeable at any rate). I have some Zylkene still to try so I'll give that a go for next time. He used to wear adaptil collars but I couldn't say if they worked or not, it was just a 'may aswell try' situation.

He was absolutely terrified, ears back, tail down, crouching. He wasn't scared of her, but didn't like it if she had anything in her hand. When she had nothing in her hand he jumped up at her trying to say hello. At least I hope that means that if I desensitize him to equipment he will be alright, rather than being afraid of people. If the worst happens and he just doesn't get over it I will change vets and start again. For example he was pretty happy at the referral centre when we had to take him there.

I think a muzzle might be a necessity, he definately learnt there that snapping at the equipment made it stop. He didn't growl, he just snapped and kept trying to escape. She talked about sedation in future but I worry that'll just make him worse. We did some muzzle training at his IMDT class and he accepted it quicker than the other dogs, so I don't think it'll be hard to get him to like it. Of course that was when he had his balls, he's alot more sensitive now.

Keep thinking back to the really chilled out puppy he used to be, he had absolutely no issue with anything at the vets and was totally relaxed and happy. I'll try and do some work with these ear drop, doing what you did. If you managed it with a sensitive dog then hopefully I can too!

Edit: Don't want to hijack the thread, but so far he's let the nozzle touch his ear momentarily. :)
Khouji

Post by Khouji »

Don't try adaptil collars because it gives trauma to a dog.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Khouji wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:59 pm Don't try adaptil collars because it gives trauma to a dog.
Could you back this up with some research please, Khouji? It's the first time I've heard this suggested. Why is it they cause trauma?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009