iCalmDog

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

norwichdogtrainer

iCalmDog

Post by norwichdogtrainer »

I brought an icalmdog from Victoria in Edinburgh (UK) a couple of weeks ago, and thought I would share my results with you. I have to say the lack of instruction as to its use in the pack and on the web site was a little disappointing, and that's the only gripe. I got it to the hotel and charged it up, and then listened to it for a while, I know it had been a long day but would you believe it? I woke up several hours later and had missed dinner, the thing works on humans too :lol: Anyway I got it home the next day and 'charged' it up with my dog, we listened to it while playing ball, I took it to the river with her and we listened while she swam, we sat and listened while I stroked and massaged her that night, we took it out again next day on our walks and repeated the previous days activities, and I even had the thing playing while we had a lay in that morning too (yes she sleeps on my bed when I have a lay in :roll: ). I have played it to her several times now when leaving her at home and have come back to a really calm laid back dog, we are all so happy with it and I cant recommend it enough!! Lets get them sold in the UK please, I have already started to tell my clients about this and am looking forward to trying it out on more needy dogs with confidence!
Sabrina

Re: iCalmDog

Post by Sabrina »

I love the music from Through a Dog's Ear! (I have the 3 cd series "Music to Calm your Canine Companion"). Last summer my dachshund had an episode of disc disease and was crated for 8 weeks as he recovered. As I didn't have the music until after his crate rest started, I first played the music while I was there with him sitting next to his crate (before ever playing the music while he was home alone). The music was a huge help - it really did help to calm him (and me too! :lol: ) We still play the cds every night at bedtime.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

I also have a couple of the Through A Dog's Ear CD's that I bought when Piper was a puppy and found them just as relaxing and soothing to me as they were to her! I also found that we both slept better and deeper when I played this music softly at bedtime! :D The icalmDog sounds pretty much like the same thing. :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
bendog

Post by bendog »

Not the same thing at all, but my mum used to listen to a lullaby CD when pregnant with my brother - and when he was born, and for years afterwards, that CD would send him straight to sleep :lol:

Someone with an orphaned litter of pups she is raising is using the icalmdog when she leaves them. Hard to tell if it makes much difference I guess, but seems like if you can create an association between the music and feeling calm & relaxed it could work quite well.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

bendog wrote:Not the same thing at all
I just went to Victoria's page and read about icalmdog - sounds exactly the same to me! :lol: It's a small unit that plays four hours of music from Through A Dog's Ear. I just use my CD player, but this sounds pretty convenient for on the go calming. :D

http://throughadogsear.com/icalmdog/
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
norwichdogtrainer

Post by norwichdogtrainer »

It is the compactness and convenience that I like, plus it's on a loop which will give you about 12 hours I'm told. I still switch it on when doing happy this with my dog even now, which is what makes it such a powerful tool.