I've almost had enough. Might resort to physical punishment

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

countrymassage23

Re: I've almost had enough. Might resort to physical punishment

Post by countrymassage23 »

I had so many of the same thoughts and issues that you have here with my puppy, Roscoe (bluetick/beagle/jack russell mix).

Every time I would walk out of the room he would be crying....even when he was sitting on the floor in the bathroom when I was in the shower he would cry!! My vet suggested positive reinforcement...leave the room for 10 seconds, then if Roscoe didn't cry, give him a treat and gradually increase the time you are out of the room...same thing goes for crate training (at least that's how I did it)....I didn't even start crate training my puppy until he could get over the baby gate...I would just gate him in the kitchen and use puppy pads. Then after he could get over the baby gate, I really began the crate training for when I was at work. My neighbor (who is a friend of mine) texted me one day when I had gone to a friend's barn to help out with milking for a few hours and told me that Roscoe barked and cried for an hour after I left, but now, I don't even have to tell him to go to the kennel when I leave for work...usually he's already in it when he sees me put my coat on. I put some toys and a frozen peanut butter filled kong in with him, and he's fine.

My puppy is 6 months old, and he still has accidents...if I don't let him out within 5 minutes if him waiting at the door (cooking, shower, etc...the "hold on a second" situation), he will pee right in front of the door. I can't punish him for that because it was my fault. I'm sure you've had situations where you had to pee so bad that it hurt, and that's what you have to think about with the puppy. I can't tell you how many times I would get up at 2 a.m. and get so upset...then I remembered...how many times does a human baby get up in the middle of the night and have a dirty diaper?

I had no patience at all before I got Roscoe. I have HAD to develop patience with him in my life. Period. As far as chewing, I'm having problems with that with Roscoe, and everyone on here has told me to walk him and make sure he gets lots of exercise. Also, do you have a yard? Can you put up a fence in your yard? Or a runner line (that's what I have for Roscoe...just have to make sure there's nothing he can get hung up on with it so he doesn't hurt himself).

Hang in there...when the prior posts say all of us feel your pain, we really do. But it pays off in the end. A puppy is just like having a child without a doubt...I'm 21 years old so I can relate with you there!
"If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to it."
Jack Monzon

Post by Jack Monzon »

Any updates?
Erica

Post by Erica »

I think it's unlikely, as this thread is a good six years old now!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14