door bell killer

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Maverick

door bell killer

Post by Maverick »

I have a 3 year old male Viszla that just goes nuts when the doorbell rings or somebody knocks. He will basically run straight to the door sometimes lunging at it and will look outside the window by the door barking.

Any thoughts or other posts would be most appreciated

TY

Mav
Golden

Re: door bell killer

Post by Golden »

I just wateched Victoria's " it's me or the dog" show on this very behavior; three Great Danes. I would suggest finding the video on the website. Basically, she removed them from the room when someone came to the door. Another video, she taught two dogs to stay on a mat once the door bell rang or someone knocked.
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

I couldn't find the vids on the site...you can look again if you want.

On the dane ep, she set up a ritual of behaviors.
1. Doorbell is rung or door is knocked on
2. All dogs go to a "safe zone" aka their bedroom...i'm sure you can use any room with a door for this
3. Guest is let in
4. I forgot the dog's names, but one was let out to greet the visitor who was sitting down reading a magazine
5. If the dog jumped, the visitor stood up and turned her back
6. Visitor gave attention when the dog was calm
7. That dog was put back in the bedroom and the other two were let out to greet the guest
8. Steps 5 and 6 were repeated with the two dogs
9. The first dog was let out

I'm not an expert, so i don't know if this would help or not.

I think the mat ep was two dogs named Marlow and Harper and their owner dawn
1. Door was knocked on
2. Dawn pointed at the mat and said settle
3. Dawn used the stay command to let the guest in
4. The dogs remained on the mat as the guest was in the house

I found the settle mat a little confusing because i use the word place.
--dontpugme
angela.lee

Post by angela.lee »

now have video doorbell.there is safe.
nothing can do.
-------
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Ah Maverick I have exactly the same problem! What is your dog like when the person comes in? Mine goes nuts barking when the doorbell goes (altho funnily enough is a little better if I have the door to the hallway closed, but not all the time). If he can get into the hall he barks madly and lunges and jumps at the door.

I did start to try to get him to sit and stay at the far end of the hall, let the person in and then tell him he could go in once the perosn had gone into the sitting room.....but to be honest it means when I let the person in I cant focus on them at ALL....and if Dylan gets up I have to immediately shuit the door on the visitor and start again. Plus I cant trust Dylan because if he gets up while the person is coming in, he will lunge and nip towards them - not a proper bite but even so, if he catches their leg it will be enough to bruise them.

I did put a safety gate at the far end of the hall, but for some reason that seems to make the barking more frantic. Even when my parents come in, he would usually chill out when he saw it was them, but when behind the baby gate he carries on barking like a mad thing.

I would be interested to see the session Victoria did - does anyone have a link to it?
dokiwawa

Post by dokiwawa »

Maybe you guys can install a wireless video door intercom http://www.espow.com/wholesale-3-5-inch ... ercom.html without doorbell rings. :D
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

There was another ep from last season where VS trained a dog using a remote doorbell ringer. I can't remember the details but basically she would ring the bell I think she let the dog bark 3x, and then treated. after a while she brought dog to door to show him nobody was there. So she was desensitizing him to the doorbell so he wouldn't go nuts.

You can also command dog to sit, put a leash on for control & when he sits nicely/quietly he is allowed to sniff/greet a seated guest. Your guest must be willing & patient & not be a nervous type. Do not try with anyone who is. And then there's the 'place' or 'settle' training as mentioned earlier.

This is a common problem just choose one of the many solutions & stick with it.
GOOD LUCK!
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

I have now got one of the wireless doorbells....I have disconnected by old one, and now have the doorbell inside so only I can use it. Now its wierd, and not sure if its good or bad, but whereas as soon as the old doorbell went Dylan would go mad, he has not barked at this one once! It is a similar tone but not quite as high pitched I suppose.....but he hasnt even barked once at it! Good I suppose, but he will bark if somoene knocks on the door, so not sure why he doesnt bark at this one....still am hoping that the more he hears it just with me in the house, when it is eventuially outside and someone rings it, it wont be so bad!