13 wk Boxer/?Pitt? mix - specific training advice

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BunkerHillJess

13 wk Boxer/?Pitt? mix - specific training advice

Post by BunkerHillJess »

Hi I'm new to the forum and to puppy ownership. Although both my boyfriend and I had dogs growing up we have just rescued our first puppy a "Boxer Mix" that seems to have some Pitt/American Staffordshire traits. We got him 2 weeks ago at 11weeks old and so far so good. His toileting in the house has decreased, he responsive on walks and seems to have bonded well with the both of us. Recently however he seems to be exhibiting some characteristics that we want to stop but aren't sure of the best method for his mix breed. Specifically nipping, chewing the paper in his crate when we put him there, jumping, and not dropping his toys. While I understand these are normal puppy behaviors and there is a lot of advice out there about how to handle these situations he ignores our attempts at practicing the standard methods used to curb the unwanted behavior. His focus is incredible so even if we do employ these methods he doesn't switch attention. We have also started trying to teach him sit, off, and come commands. He responds sometimes and yet most of the time he couldn't care less. My boyfriend is home with him most of the day but will leave for an hour or two just for him to be use to being on his own. We give him daily walks and play with him frequently. Apart from the methods in Victoria's first book is there a specific boxer/pitt method we should follow? I am worried we are using the disapproving command of "ah-ah" too much and he doesn't pay attention to it anymore. I think we may also be repeating commands too often such as drop it, calm down, come and sit. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Nettle

Re: 13 wk Boxer/?Pitt? mix - specific training advice

Post by Nettle »

Just quickly - I'm sure others will add more -

Remember what you have is an infant. He doesn't speak your language and he doesn't know what you want him to do. He can only behave like a puppy. We get nowhere concentrating on negatives ie what we don't want dogs to do - so turn your mind around to positives, make it easy for him to do what you want and then reward him. :)

Check out all the threads we have here about how to stop jumping up and mouthing.

Why shouldn't he chew the paper in his crate? Pups need to chew. Give him lots of safe things to chew.

Let him have his toys. They are his. Why should he drop them? Keep a toybox and rotate the toys he has (change them over when he is asleep) so that old toys appear new.

What 'standard methods' are you using?

Stay with us - we can help you to understand and enjoy your puppy.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
BunkerHillJess

Post by BunkerHillJess »

You're absolutely right, he is just an infant and doesn't understand commands yet. We give him treats and lots of vocal praise and do not emphasize the negatives. We just want to make sure that we treat and train him in the best way possible and do right from the beginning. When we ask him to drop something when it is our shoes (just after we take them off) or are playing fetch. We leave him a rope and kong in his crate so there are alternatives to the paper, he always has access to them. I will try the trick of switch his toys. As far as the paper I worry about it because it seems to make him cough afterward that's all.

Also what I mean by standard methods are the threads on nipping and jumping. When we look away or do the ah-ah he keeps his focus on whatever we are trying to communicate isn't good. Still working with him - just want to be as attentive and positive as possible.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

If you want him to drop something, make it worth his while--so either ask him to drop it, but give him a yummy treat for dropping it or ask him to trade and give him a toy in its place. Whatever he's getting needs to be a higher value than whatever you're asking him to drop. The nipping thing is pretty normal, if he nips too hard while you're playing, get up, leave him for a few seconds (just a few seconds!) then come back and play with him. He'll realize that nipping too hard means the game stops. If you don't want him chewing the paper, then take it out of the crate. We've only ever had a blanket in our puppy's crate and he was fine. We made sure to take him out frequently enough at night that we didn't have potty accidents, and when we did have potty accidents (which were very few) we just pulled out the blanket and put a new one in.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Shoes smell wonderful to a pup! :) Put them where he can't get at them. Puppies are wonderful at training people to put things away. :wink:

imsuperspy

Post by imsuperspy »

To stop the nipping and send that behavior into extinction try this method:

EACH and EVERY time he puts his mouth on you or your clothes, make a short high pitched puppy sound like a yelp. Then don't play with him for a short time. Go back to him and resume your activities. If his nipping doesn't decrease, start leaving the room for a short period of time. This is exactly what his littermates would do if he played too rough with them. The difference between other puppies and humans is that he needs to learn that it is NEVER OK to put his mouth on people. It will take consistency, time, and patience, but it will work.

I would also suggest that you enroll in a puppy training class such as those offered by Petsmart or Petco if you can't find a qualified positive trainer like Victoria in your area that could offer private instruction. Classes in clicker training and positive reinforcement will get you both off to the right start as well as help in proper socialization for your puppy.
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

As an aside, Not saying this is your case, or that I agree/disagree with anything here, but a LOT of the rescues are calling pitt bull and staffordshire terriers " boxer mixes", as there are so many people coming to shelters saying they do not want anything pitt bull, and because there are so many towns with bans on pitt bulls.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Same here, and it's annoying because it isn't helping the new owners. There is nothing wrong with a pit mix or a staffie mix - but you do need to know what you are dealing with.

Sometimes they plain don't know and just make something up.

2many

Post by 2many »

Sounds like you are off to a great start with your new puppy! I don't have any breed specific advice, but wanted to offer what I did when playing fetch with Lady as a puppy. She is a herding mix, so liked to grab at hands near her toys; not to be aggressive, but just getting caught up in the moment. I would have her drop one toy, before I threw the other. She caught on quick and I have tried this for dogs at daycare too, with the same results. It may take a few tries to catch on, but now on the rare occasion Lady wants to play fetch (she won't do it too often, since she is too clever to keep chasing something I keep letting "escape" ;)), she remembers and quickly drops the toy. Also makes for a higher paced game for those dogs (labs) who are super high energy at work!!
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

I also own a 4 month boxer/pit female. We have had her since she was a week b/c mom was a ferrel and very aggressive so the shelter had to euthanize her. She has the attitude of a boxer. She is very stubborn and we have to continually remind her there are rules and we will not break down. We have quite a few toys and we trade them in and out for others. We bought Kong toys and we put peanut butter in them to give her a treat. We battle everyday with leave it and I am beginning to wonder if we will ever master that. She is in puppy training and she is the loudest one there. We try the turn around and leave method and return when the barking subsides. It has finally started to work. I have never had to work with a puppy so much in my life before Charlotte. The only aggressive issues I have with her are during play with other dogs and then she shows a little aggressiveness. I am really working on this but I am at my wits end on this issue.
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

[email protected] wrote:I also own a 4 month boxer/pit female. We have had her since she was a week b/c mom was a ferrel and very aggressive so the shelter had to euthanize her. She has the attitude of a boxer. She is very stubborn and we have to continually remind her there are rules and we will not break down. We have quite a few toys and we trade them in and out for others. We bought Kong toys and we put peanut butter in them to give her a treat. We battle everyday with leave it and I am beginning to wonder if we will ever master that. She is in puppy training and she is the loudest one there. We try the turn around and leave method and return when the barking subsides. It has finally started to work. I have never had to work with a puppy so much in my life before Charlotte. The only aggressive issues I have with her are during play with other dogs and then she shows a little aggressiveness. I am really working on this but I am at my wits end on this issue.
Hewk, why don't you create your own thread so members can help you deal with your problems exclusively? Thanks. :)
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

I have and I didn't mean for this one to turn into a question. I was doing a million things, watching a puppy, making sure my daughters dog was where he was supposed to be etc......I will start my own thread on this subject. Do you have any answers for me?