Mouthing?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Mouthing?

Post by Shalista »

So as a pup bax used to mouth pretty bad so i adopted a strict "no hands" policy for play. no mouths on hands, no playing with hands, toy at all times. lately ive gotten pretty lax since he doesnt really mouth and ive been playing with him with my hands. just rough housing, batting around. hes started.... not.... mouthing, im not sure what it is? he keeps his mouth SUPER wide open and waves it around. sometimes his open mouth smacks into my arm or hand but he doesnt close it. is THIS mouthing? is this allowed? if it is mouthing its super gentle, like i said he doesnt close his mouth. im not sure if i should discourage it? discontinue play? stop using my hands to play with him? he just doesnt really like toys and this is play we do in bed just before we go to sleep....
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Re: Mouthing?

Post by JudyN »

When I was a child our collie used to play with our Yorkie like that :D I wouldn't see it as a problem - if he does show any signs of closing his jaws you can always stop the play but it seems a good way to play to me.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Seems fine to me, too, but I recommend you don't let anyone else play with him like that.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

yay! this makes me happy =) we both really enjoy playing liek this and id feel aweful if we had to stop. and yeah i wont let anyone else do it with him. it will be our dirty little secret :twisted:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13