lurcher behaviour problems!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: lurcher behaviour problems!

Post by Nettle »

In this particular situation, OP is better to manage than train, because management always works and training doesn't achieve 100% although it can get very close. So it's as has already been said - no offlead in deery areas, and keeping a very good lookout even in non-deery areas. Every chase reinforces, and a kill reinforces so totally that there is nothing we can offer that comes near as an alternative.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

All this management.... does get you VERY good at understanding wildlife, understanding and reading the environment looking for that wildlife and knowing where it might be and where its likely to go.

Which sounds initially like a study you didn't sign up for, but believe me, you will see FAR more out there, than owners of.... 'lesser' dogs and grow to appreciate the countryside all the more for it.

Err and you gotta find the positives! :D
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

i remember when there was a (bright russet) roe doe feeding twin (red with white spots) fawns in a (bright green) wheatfield in the bright sunshine, and I (and my dogs) were the only beings who saw them, despite the endless stream of dog walkers going along the footpath.

Luckily there was a fence, or a number of pet dog owners would have been in for a Fenton moment :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I'd hardly ever seen a deer before I got Jasper. When I did, it was a magical experience. Now they pop up blimmin' everywhere :roll:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

We must have been exceptionally lucky with our old Lurcher. He had saluki in him aswell! Luckily the collie neuroticness with playing fetch kept him out of all sorts of trouble. :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Maybe the collie genes outweighed the saluki ones - they're at opposite ends of the spectrum in some respects.
NaomiH

Post by NaomiH »

Thanks for all the advice on here. I had a session with a new dog trainer yesterday but unfortunately won't be using him again as there was far too much yanking on Sparky's collar for my liking (which Sparky did not like one bit and was pretty confused by) and I also got told off for stroking him just for the sake of stroking him. He also asked why on earth I would choose a dog like Sparky when I could have got an "easy" breed (to be honest he might have a point there, but I thought it was a bit out of order!)

Just returned from a dog walk with 2 friends with lurchers and did lots of recall with Sparky and used the ball-thrower. Right at the end of the walk I faced my nemesis when 3 horses appeared out of nowhere. Luckily I clocked them before Sparky did, called him over and got him on lead then led him to the side. We fed him treats constantly for remaining calm as they walked by. Luckily I had an extremely laid-back friend with me, otherwise I would definitely have gone into panic mode! My laid-back friend has also offered to go to a local field with horses in it with me. We are going to keep Sparky on lead and let him look at the horses from a distance and reward any calm behaviour. The idea is that we will gradually let him get closer each week (always on lead and on the other side of a fence). Sounds good in theory but not sure that it will always work when he sees them trotting or galloping in the distance! I will try another trainer too.

Sparky's had 2 really good walks today - which is just as well as I have been pretty desperate over the last few days. He is just so unpredictable - most of the time he's good but then will have an absolutely appalling walk, leaving me feeling totally out of my depth and like the worst owner in the world!
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

NaomiH wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:05 pm He also asked why on earth I would choose a dog like Sparky when I could have got an "easy" breed (to be honest he might have a point there, but I thought it was a bit out of order!
I agree that was out of order, yeah ya could of but you didn't and you have sparky now and really he should be focusing on the chow not the what could have been or what might have been better.

I say this as I'm also a first time owner and own a rather stubborn but beautiful Giant schnauzer , Sampson. I could have gone with an easier breed but i didn't ( I was a foster for my local rescue and when I fostered Sampson I could not let him go :D )
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Forgot to say you could check out these websites to find behaviourist near to you.

The behaviourist I used (still do but I don't see her as much as most of his issues have now improved and am handling them fine on my own)

The behaviourist I use belongs to this organisation https://www.imdt.uk.com/find-a-qualifie ... ainer.html

You can also try http://www.apdt.co.uk
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

NaomiH wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:05 pmMy laid-back friend has also offered to go to a local field with horses in it with me. We are going to keep Sparky on lead and let him look at the horses from a distance and reward any calm behaviour. The idea is that we will gradually let him get closer each week (always on lead and on the other side of a fence). Sounds good in theory but not sure that it will always work when he sees them trotting or galloping in the distance!
Yes, this is pretty much what I did with Jasper with cattle and horses. It might be better, rather than walk towards the horses and stand there while Sparky looks at them, to walk parallel to them - so the walk isn't 'Let's go and look at the horses and I'll give you treats' but 'We're walking past a field of horses but they're nothing to do with you, nothing of interest, and if you carry on walking nicely you get a treat.' I say 'Not for you' when he's looking at something interesting, be it a horse, a cat, or an old takeaway in the gutter, which he understands now.

It will be different if they start to gallop. If he's on lead and starts flinging himself to the end of the lead like a kite in a high wind, what I would do is don't say anything, don't drag him in the other direction, which will frustrate him more, but just wait him out. Eventually he'll realise that he's not going anywhere while he's throwing a wobbly and it's not worth the effort. Then when he calms down, praise him and give him a treat.
NaomiH

Post by NaomiH »

Hi Zara D

Many thanks for the information - I've just looked at the websites you suggested and I've found a trainer close to me who might be able to introduce Sparky to horses!

I don't know much about dog breeds (being a fellow first time owner) but giant Schnauzers look gorgeous!

Naomi