Humping in play

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Humping in play

Post by JudyN »

I've mentioned Jasper's bromance with F, a cockerpoo, before. They've met about four times now and each time they play together, which is practically unheard of for J. It's all boxing, play-bows, running in small circles, not your normal lurcher chasing. Each time it usually ends with J getting overexcited and trying to hump F.

Today we walked round together for quite a while and they had several bouts of play. J doesn't do much self-handicapping, but relies on his long limbs to stand over F and roll him over, then F will wriggle out and grab J's ears. They both keep coming back for more and I'm not seeing any aggression on J's side (though he is a little on the rough side) or worry on F's. One moment J will look a bit fed up with F, the next he'll be playbowing again.

Anyhoo, J tried to hump F several times today. Most of the time it just broke up naturally as F wriggled from under him, and a couple of times I called J away. Because of their size difference I don't think J's business end got within a foot of F's so there was no chance of... well whatever two boy dogs might otherwise do... J wasn't pinning F down - or not effectively anyway - and again, not being aggressive in any way. Generally, when he has played with other dogs, they've tended to be matched in size and before long J will get a bit growly and it looks like it's turning sour (I think when he starts feeling insecure), at which point I call him back, but I'm not seeing this with F.

My question is, is the humping something I should discourage over and above trying to curb generally overaroused play? Is it a sign that the play has reached a stage where I shouldn't let it go any further? Or, as long as they're both happy, F is easily able to escape from J's clutches, and J isn't getting too intense, can I let them get on with it? It's lovely to see him choosing to play with another dog, for the most part nicely. I do wonder if the fact that he hardly ever wants to play with other dogs means he's not learnt good play etiquette and only has a rudimentary understanding of self-handicapping.

F's owner isn't concerned BTW, and is usually laughing as much as I am. Though we do meet in the local park and have to make a show of effort to stop any luuuuuurve asap when there's children and disapproving adults around :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Lotsaquestions

Re: Humping in play

Post by Lotsaquestions »

I've never allowed Merlin to do it, but he only tried it on with the ladies and was a bit... rapey.

Some friends of mine let theirs do it as long as its just play. Little border terrier boys, the younger one likes to hump the older one's head. :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It's your final decision, but personally I have zero tolerance of humping. It's nothing to do with it being sexual, and everything to do with it being so incredibly rewarding to the humper that it is very easy for him to extend to other dogs and people too. An unwanted behaviour practised is an unwanted behaviour established. And for the benefit of those who don't know (because JudyN I know you are well aware) it can lead to dogs being injured, traumatised or fighting back, or people injured or upset. if someone's dog runs up to me and tries to hump me or my dog, and the owners are too slow in dealing with it, I can get very reactive :lol:

Even though the other dog appears unfazed, it might simply be going along with it as it doesn't know what else to do.

Another thought, and IMO not one to raise unless asked, is if the other dog has a health problem that makes it smell worth humping.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It's a good point that he might start extending it to other dogs, who might not be so welcoming... and if he decides it's the best fun ever it'll get harder to call him back. Of course, if I call him away and treat him he might start humping to get the treat, but knowing him it'll end up being a quick paw on the back and 'Do I get a treat now, Mum?' which seems like a good compromise.

I don't think it's likely to be a health problem in the other dog as J starts out purely playing, and it's only when the play excitement mounts (no pun intended :lol: ) that he starts humping. He did meet a male dog once where he was immediately VERY aroused, and visibly so :wink: which he isn't with F. But thinking about it, when he got F to roll over there was quite a lot of willy sniffing so...

As for the other dog not really enjoying it - now I think of it, some young playful dogs keep coming back to them after he's given them a very clear warning that he'd rather rip their head off than play with them, and I'm sure they're rather not be snarked at!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009