Why does bax sneeze?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Why does bax sneeze?

Post by Shalista »

When I'm giving extended pets to bax he gets super excited, writhing all over and smearing himself on me for maximum petting coverage... and he sneezes like a crazy dog. I always thought this was more of a stress reaction and I'd give him a time out from pets (no matter how much he mooched) and then pet again when he seemed calmer.

Is this right? How should i take the sneezing? (When he was a puppy right about when hes sneezing is usually when he would be mouthing if that gives any clues to context (he no longer mouthes AT ALL thank god) ) is sneezing BAD? Does it necessitate a time out? Is it okay for him to get excited when he's getting pets?

Bax has VERY rarely offers calm, sit in your lap, pets. for him pets is a full contact sport involving paws up for extra chest scratchies and smooooooshing of the neck for maximum neck scratchies. Ive never really been bothered by it since I'm still flattered he wants any affection at ALL. i just assumed he had the canine equivalent of being socially awkward with no concept of polite behavior or personal space. (This reaction btw is also immediate. its not like he goes from gentle to 100. he STARTS at 100. the moment you touch his neck he goes full smoosh)

I'm just curious if bax is getting TO excited about pets and if i should be doing something differently?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Lotsaquestions

Re: Why does bax sneeze?

Post by Lotsaquestions »

I think sneezing is a dogs way to let you know he's only playing. At least, that's what I've always thought.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I feel like this is the sister post to @judyN. like what do you do when your dog does a mildly harmless reaction to being to excited?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I know just what you mean :lol:

I've just found this: https://iheartdogs.com/why-do-dogs-snee ... e-excited/ Only had time for a quick scan, but it looks as if it could be an answer.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

daww that makes me feel better! good ol bax!

Ive been telling him "Achoo" every time he play sneezes in the high hopes i can get him to sneeze on command :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: