Puppy pads

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Puppy pads

Post by Shalista »

I know most/all of you dont do this but im looking for some guidance on puppy pads.

Bax was 100% potty trained in my new apartment and then we went home to visit the rents and now he wees and poos wherever he pleases.

Some good news: He's a boy and only wees against walls where he can **** a leg. (decreases possible weeing spots by 90% since he wont go on open floor) He has a room where he prefers to go.

So far: I've basically re-carpeted in puppy pads along all his favorite spots and any spot he might consider in the future. My intent is to just let him wee his lil heart out for a few months on the puppy pads and get used to the surface and then one by one I'll stealthily cut down on the number of puppy pads he has available.

I praise extensively if i catch him weeing on a pad and i have praised in the past for wees and poos i FIND on there but didnt catch him in the act for (but i'm not sure how productive that is.)

Also (gross question) if he wees in a new spot should i clean it up or should i leave it there and drape the pad OVER it so it smells of wee?

Is this a viable strategy to puppy pad train a dog?

(to reiterate for any newcomers why i'm puppy pad training my dog. After 5 years I'm tossing in the towel. he spent to many years in my parents piss soaked house to ever have a prayer at proper potty training. some habits are to ingrained and since i work i find it unlikely that i'll ever be able to go back to the puppy days of taking him out every 15 min. (which didn't work when i was doing it at the old house anyway) I also work 8-10 hours a day and frequently skip lunch so i cant always come back to let him out for a quick pee. i want him to have the option to relieve himself on a pad in his room (which is ALREADY his fav room for pottying) rather than holding it and getting sick)

EDIT - the censors on this board are silly. it censored my......word for a male rooster.... but not 'piss'. really?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Lotsaquestions

Re: Puppy pads

Post by Lotsaquestions »

From what my parents did (they have two little dogs, they lost the third a few weeks ago unfortunately :() they cleaned up the wee everywhere else with special cleaner you can get that completley removes any wee smell, and left soiled puppy pads out to encourage them to go there.

However - and this will probably apply to you! - their boy dog lifts his leg anywhere he chooses still. He associated weeing in the house as alright, rather than weeing on the pads. So what they did for him is get this special pee wall to encourage him to wee up that, and it is helping.

Is Bax marking or just toiletting btw? If its to do with marking you can try belly bands.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I've never been able to tell the dif with bax. he cocks his leg up every time he pees inside and out. ive never seen him squat and he always chooses to pee ON things (usually bushes)

and yeah ive been kind of folding the pad up against the wall so i have a lil bit of height to block the stream. i've also been leaving soiled pads out and had a successful poop on one just today! (though again thats prolly just cause the pad is in his favorite poop spot.) but i'll bee leaving it out there for awhile =) bax usually has a fav spot and he sticks to it with his poo!
Erica

Post by Erica »

I think keeping the pads in the same places and encouraging him to use those spots is good, though I would probably try to limit it from the beginning as much as possible. So if you think he's setting up to pee, try to positively catch his attention and direct him to his potty spot.

The word for male rooster can also be slang for a male's rooster, if you catch my drift, which is likely why it's blocked. The explicitness rather than the rudeness, plus it might attract odd spam bots (though the new system seems to be working better on that front!).
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I have never once been able to tell when bax needed to go. sometimes he deigns to TELL me (comes to me whining and pacing) but he doesnt LIKE being led to the pads so i dont think hes quite gathered that hes SUPPOSED to go on them yet.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

I would advise choosing one or the other. use the pads or use out doors. you can change you mind later if you want if one option isn't working out as planned. but don't flip/flop.

I would also make sure you use something like Natures Miracle to clean up any misses to the pads or when he goes places he shouldn't have. whatever you use it needs to be designed to break down the smell and residue of dog urine/feces. use liberally, don't skimp when spraying.

nothing wrong with choosing to potty pad train him if that is what your situations deems is the best choice. but i agree, start training him the end goal now. go here where the pads are, not there where they aren't.

To do this, just take a page out of the puppy house training "manual". same procedure basically.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

@JACKSDAD so you would not recommend doing both at the same time? I CAN take him out i just dont want him to feel like he HAS to hold it for me.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

so far he's mostly still going in the same room but twice now he's pottied outside of the pads. besides carpeting my room more religiously in pads for maximum coverage is there anything else i can do?

I try to clip his leash on when he tells me he has to go and then take him into the room before i take him outside but he puts on the brakes HARD when being led in. that room is NOT his fav room. (its also his time out room which may be why hes so hesitant)

thoughts?
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Well i think i can call this a resounding success. my room is still carpeted in pads around the edges but im 100% okay wit hthat. he now ONLY wees and poos on the pads with the exception of once in the morning he lieks to go out for a pee and once when i get home from work. since i carpeted my room with pads he hasnt gone anywhere else in the apartment. i feel pretty proud to say i have a potty trained dog!
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Congratulations! Hopefully many more wee free years to come. :lol:
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

its almost 5 years late but better late than never :roll: :roll:
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

5yrs is better than no achievement I know people who just let there dogs toilet in the house because there to lazy to train :roll: . So congrats :D
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

once again bax is teaching me to let go of preconceived notions and concepts. i never would have thought of haveing a hybrid outdoor weeing/puppy pads when i first got him. i was so determined to have an outdoor weeing dog that i probably could have doen this ages ago :roll: :wink: