14 week old standard poodle house training

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BFJ

14 week old standard poodle house training

Post by BFJ »

Hi,
We have a 14 week old standard poodle who is very good at not peeing or pooping in his crate or pen. Also when we take him out every hour to his eliminating spot outside he goes 9/10 and i think recognizes the command. However when he's playing or having some supervised time out of pen or crate he will just go on the carpet.
What are we doing wrong?
Lotsaquestions

Re: 14 week old standard poodle house training

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Lots of puppies when they are playing get stimulated to go to the toilet, and a carpet is close to grass in making them want to go on it. When my pup was around that age we had to take him out very regularly in the middle of playtime because he would go alot and it would be on the rug, despite being able to hold it in in his crate. Basically you need to watch your pup like a hawk and the moment he starts to sniff the floor / look away from the game just take him out. He's still very young, he'll get it in time you just have to be vigilant!

Don't tell him off if he goes on the carpet otherwise he could just get sneaky about it, but instead interrupt him before he's actually going and take him to the garden and lavish the praise / treats.
BFJ

Post by BFJ »

Thanks! That is what we've been doing to hopefully he'll grow out of this phase. Glad to know we're not doing anything terribly wrong.

He is also going through a major mouthing stage at the moment, i suspect teething! If anyone has any ideas i would be grateful.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Watch out for the 'double wee' - some puppies will wee in the garden then come indoors and straight away decide they need another wee - if he does this, then every time you take him out for a wee and come in again... you'll have to take him straight back out again!

I've just cut & pasted an old post about puppy biting, so it might be a bit out of context but hopefully will be helpful:
Squealing when they nip works for some dogs but not others so if it's not working for you, don't say anything. Be as boring as possible. When he nips I would either put him in timeout, or leave the room yourself and close the door/stairgate. You could put a light house lead (with no loop that might get caught on anything) on him to make it easier to put him in timeout. Wear shoes/boots if it makes it easier to stay calm. But only leave him in timeout for 5-10 seconds, then let him back out again. Yes, he'll go straight for your feet again, so put him back in timeout without saying anything, wait another 5-10 secondss, let him out... You might let him out umpteen times in just a few minutes but eventually, hopefully, you'll see him head for your feet and think twice. He might then not be able to resist temptation, but you've just seen the first glimmer of understanding, and you know you're on the right track.

Prevention is better than cure though - rather than give him a toy when he's gone for your feet, carry a toy with you at all times and stick it in his mouth the moment he gets 'that' look in his eye.
Oh, and make sure he has loads of appropriate things to chew on. If his gums are sore, something like a frozen carrot, or a flannel dipped in water, wrung out and then frozen, can soothe them.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

BFJ wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:29 pm Hi,
We have a 14 week old standard poodle who is very good at not peeing or pooping in his crate or pen. Also when we take him out every hour to his eliminating spot outside he goes 9/10 and i think recognizes the command. However when he's playing or having some supervised time out of pen or crate he will just go on the carpet.
What are we doing wrong?

14 weeks is just a wee baby...emphasis baby... and what you describe is 100% normal. At this age dogs are not finished developing their ability to control their bodies. So it is critical we proactively provide our puppies the opportunity to go to the bathroom in the right place.

When they wake up from a nap...take them out
When they come out of their crate...take them out
When they finish drinking...give it a couple minutes, take them out
when they finish playing...take them out
when they finish eating...take them out.

this is on top just taking them out regularly.

this isn't forever, just in these early weeks. also be aware that when you take your pup out, the can get distracted and not go. so give them a reasonable time, then take them back in, and with in a minute or two, take the right back out.
BFJ wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:05 pm He is also going through a major mouthing stage at the moment, i suspect teething! If anyone has any ideas i would be grateful.
also 100% normal puppy behavior. in addition to Judy's advice be sure to be providing something legal to chew. puppy starts to mouth your hand...give them something legal to chew...starts to chew on your arm...give them something legal to chew. this is something you will need to do over and over for a few days. the more consistent you are the quicker your pup will learn what is ok to chew.
BFJ

Post by BFJ »

Thank you everyone for the advice. I just really wanted to check that this was normal, as i don't want to be "letting him get away with things" or "expecting too much of him". Thanks again