Guarding on an exit

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Guarding on an exit

Post by Shalista »

So I've talked a bit about Willa here (2 yr old Chihuahua rescue my sister now owns) she's recent developed an interesting behavior we're trying to curb.

She charges people as they EXIT the room. I'm guessing its because she feels safer with them leaving, like before shes to threatened with them IN the room but once they're leaving she feels she can take a pot shot.

Like all Chihuahuas shes 90% tremble.

She's very insecure and very possessive of my sister.

Today i went upstairs and cuddled with her, first just snuggles with her on my lap and then we played with her teddy bear for awhile. everything was fine. she hoped off my lap to wander off around the room and i took it as my que to leave. as soon as i neared the door she charged me snarling. i left.

Not sure how to handle it. i was thinking treats when i get to the door so she looks forward to it? but she doesn't like food (see other thread)

it's not just me, she charges ANYONE who tries to leave my sis' room. (barring the sis of course)

thoughts?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Re: Guarding on an exit

Post by JudyN »

So she's OK if she's alone in the room with your sis and your sis gets up to leave the room without her? What if you're in the room and your sis isn't, then you get up to leave? Does this happen in any room, or just in your sister's room?

My first priority would be to sort her eating out (she needs to see a vet for a full check-up if she hasn't already) so you can actually reward her. Then - though I'm not an expert, I'm just thinking it through - you could maybe stand up, treat her, sit down... stand up, take one step toward the door, treat her, sit down... and so on. I'd also be teaching a good 'stay' on her bed so your sis can ask her to do that when someone leaves the room.

Though a training session or two might get through her whole food allowance for the day!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

We think it's just when my sister is in the room. Both dogs bark when you come into the room as well but ONLY when my sister is this. they're totally chill if i come in when she's not. And Willa doesn't care if you try to leave any other room it's JUST that bedroom.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I wondered about other people just not going in there till she's more settled and is eating, but that might just make her think that no one is allowed in... or at least allowed to leave. Maybe the solution is for you to go in a couple of steps and leave straight away, and building up from that direction. And your sis can train her to come to her or go to her bed when people go, rewarding her in whatever way works best. But if she is in discomfort from her teeth or has any other health issues (as mentioned in your other thread), no training solutions are going to be that effective till they're sorted.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Always interesting, resource guarding and controlling peoples movement.

100% correct, she's insecure - but shes not 'possessive' as much as 'these things make me feel safe so I don't want to lose them' if that slight difference makes sense.

I think you are also correct in your observation that shes only brave enough to have a go when the person is leaving already - we see this in humans too... the lairy lads in the street and one is only going to really shout abuse when the other is already in the act of leaving!

JudyN's advice is spot on really - deal with the eating and ensure there either is no pain involved or, resolve it if there is.

Give her space because whatever else is going on she's clearly insecure and wants space.

I would also thnk of an alternative behaviour - going to her bed is good, what about sending her out of the room first and then into a sit, then you can reward that from near the doorway or as you go through it...

Really still a lot of questions and ideas than solid answers but sometimes dog behaviour problems are like that!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant