Delta being rude to Opal

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

Delta being rude to Opal

Post by Erica »

I'm going to keep this fairly short. Delta (3 yo, intact) is now obsessed with humping Opal (9 yo, spayed, new health problems surfacing). I have to walk him on a leash through the house and even when we're closed in my room he goes through periods of whining pitifully to be let out to go hump her. This started when we moved into Sofi's house to dogsit her and when Opal's leg mass started bleeding, because of course that happened at the same time.

I don't know how to tell if it's stress from moving in with Sofi or if Opal just smells different now and it's driving him bonkers. Is there a way to tell? I want to know if I should start looking for apartments now instead of after I finish KPA as I could not live with this for too long. Right now it's not much of an issue because we spend most of our time at Sofi's house and I can leave him there (in a separate room) when I work.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Re: Delta being rude to Opal

Post by JudyN »

Has he ever been keen to hump other neutered females?

I mentioned in the chat thread a while back that Jasper had tried to hump a male dog. He had never done this before, and has only twice tried to hump females - this was so out of character I'm convinced it must have been 'something' about the other dog. So my guess would be that this is to do with Opal smelling different. Though it is a guess :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It isn't a sex-hump, it's a "you are ill and I don't know how to react to it" hump. It makes D feel better (releases endorphins) and is a primitive-brain response to weakness/illness in the social group.

Not good for either of them and will be distressing for Opal, who already knows she is ill.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Erica

Post by Erica »

He gets humpy with dogs who worry him - stiff and confident dogs or larger dogs, especially larger females, but never Opal before now. He did very well with a larger male smooth collie this weekend, only getting humpy towards the end of a 2.5 hr hike with multiple off-leash plays with him and a male poodle puppy.

That was my thinking, Nettle, though I am still not very experienced with intact dogs so I figured I should check! Leashes and barriers once we return, then!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

They are lucky dogs that you know the score- protect and pre-empt.

I have a terminally ill dog at home now - well two actually, but one moving on faster than the other. Every day other people's dogs remind me how much I need to protect her. And their owners don't have a clue.

Erica

Post by Erica »

He's adjusting a bit. Now he will walk away from her when asked and I can trust him off leash for short periods of time with supervision. :)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Great work, Erica. :D