Schedule recommendation please!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

tuckerscorner97

Schedule recommendation please!

Post by tuckerscorner97 »

We adopted a 3 yo spaniel mix last week who is unbelievably sweet, but no training at all. I would love to get recommendations on a training "schedule," since we have to work on so much. I followed Ms. Stilwell's "Sit" video and it worked great, but I am unsure on how to progress. Do we start with sit/stays, jumping, darting out door, leash-pulling, going potty in a timely fashion? We haven't had to do obedience training in 13 years and we are out of practice. I'm just not sure of the order of things. Thanks for the input!
JudyN

Re: Schedule recommendation please!

Post by JudyN »

I'm not an expert, but my thoughts are that it doesn't really matter what order you teach things in - concentrate on the ones that are most needed. This is likely to be house training and recall. If the recall is good enough it can prevent problems with jumping up. Settling on a bed is a good one, too. Sit isn't really needed at all unless it's effective in getting your dog to stop doing what she was going to do, like jumping up, chasing another dog and so on.

I would also do some impulse training: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipT5k1gaXhc There's no point a dog knowing what you want her to do if she hasn't developed the self-control to do it.

But it's also important to give her time to settle in and develop a bond with you. Again, there's no point her knowing what you'd like her to do if she doesn't yet know why it's a good idea to listen to you.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
tuckerscorner97

Thank you, JudyN, for your response. Your point about giving it time is well-taken - he is still learning his new name and that we are his new family!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

As JudyN says - prioritise, but otherwise, take the pressure off all of you by having - no schedule at all.

Potty-training is a must, but forget that schedule. You probably couldn't pee or poo if someone was standing next to you sighing and tapping their foot :lol: Treat him like a new puppy and check out our pinned thread on potty-training.

If he has a new name - good idea - he needs to learn that, so use it often and always for nice things eg walkies and dinner. Never call a dog for anything he won't like - go and get him on those occasions.

He needs to learn to trust you before you work on immobilising stuff like Sit and Stay. But as JudyN says, 'bed' is a good one for when you want him out of the way. Make sure the bed is really comfy, and not in a high-traffic area of the house - it is his haven. Leave a tiny treat for him to find in it, so it becomes a great place to be. 'Bed' is your default to keep him out from underfoot.

It's useful if they walk nicely on the lead. We have a pinned thread on that too.

Stay with us - we'll help you every step of the way. Remember with a new dog that 'less is more' and that downtime for you both is as necessary as training time. Never train any exercise for longer that 5-10 minutes a couple of times a day.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
tuckerscorner97

Thank you, Nettle, for the response! We have taken the advice and are just relaxing a bit, working on impulse control here and there throughout the day and making it loads of fun to respond to his new name. It's amazing what happens when the stress is taken off - he seems so much more "in-tune" with just a day.