Help! Shepherd husky puppy is making me cry

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lwernert

Help! Shepherd husky puppy is making me cry

Post by Lwernert »

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and I need some help with my new puppy Nova. I got her a week ago.
She is almost 16 weeks old and she has a lot of energy.
I've been trying positive training methods with her but I don't think she's getting the idea.
She jumps on the couch and I've tried teaching her the off command. She knows the command and she will get off the couch when I ask. Afterwards though she will get right back up and start nibbling the edges of the couch. I don't know what to do to keep her down and off.
She won't settle down. I've been trying to use the clicker to reward her when she's calm (making sure she isn't focused on the food too) and we've been playing alot too. We also go on walks in the morning and in the evening. But she won't stop and take a nap. I'm worried that she's only getting maybe 13-15 hours of sleep a day when she should be getting more than that.
I'm currently living with my mother and she has a chihuahua. Sometimes she chases the chihuahua, it's not a chase like she's going after prey, she just really wants to play and bows to her and jumps around. I need to find a way to get her to ignore the chihuahua and leave her alone.
I have to get her behavior under control because my mother's solution is to scream and smack and push. It doesn't work but of course she believes that it does. She thinks I'm just being weak for not doing the same. I've asked her not to do that to Nova but she doesn't stop.
This puppy is supposed to be an emotional support animal for my anxiety, please help :cry: :cry: :cry:
Nettle

Re: Help! Shepherd husky puppy is making me cry

Post by Nettle »

I think your pup needs to go back to wherever you got her from as the cross you describe is totally unsuitable for your purposes. If she goes back right away, she will have the best chance of getting a home where her needs can be addressed.

The chi is in considerable danger. You don't want to be responsible for the chi being injured. It doesn't matter whether the pup wants to play or not. The size differential is too great and the chi will suffer. So then will your relationship with your mother.

If your mother screams, smacks and pushes, you are not in the right place to have a dog of any sort and certainly not a pup. Wait until you have your own home and get a more suitable type of dog. This current situation will only make your anxieties worse. You need your mother on-side.

Not what you came to hear, but what needs to be said. You have been let down by the dog rescue and it could easily happen again. Use your time to research breed traits, learn about dogs, maybe help out a trainer. And you are always welcome here - stick around and learn from other people's problems too.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Agreeing with everything Nettle said. I got my (then) 8 month old rat terrier to be a support animal for me and it was a NIGHTMARE. not at all the animal i should have gotten and i would have been much better served (with a lot less anxiety, tears, frustration, and meltdowns) if i'd gone a dif path. He was cute and adorable and it wasn't his fault at all. he was just doing what his breed/age dictated but it was NOT good for my needs.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Lwernert

Post by Lwernert »

Thank you guys for your responses.

I went to the vet today and found out she is actually about 5 months old now, not just under 16 weeks like they told me. They had also assured me that she was great with all other animals.

I have put thought into it and you are all right. We've been getting 40 minute walks morning and evening and she can still keep going. I love walking with her but I think she is still getting bored. She would probably be happier with a larger yard to run around in and no small animals.

I knew that she would be high energy. I had initially not even considered puppies, but I fell in love with her picture. I know I acted irresponsibly. It was my fault for not weighing it out logically and instead letting my emotions rule me.
Erica

Post by Erica »

And it is very difficult to not fall in love with puppies! They hit all of our genetic ancestral "tags" for "hey take this thing and care for it even if it's a pain in the butt." It's why people find pugs cute -- puppies and a lot of brachycephalic (squish-faced) dogs look like babies, enough to push our "protect and love" buttons. I hope you can find a better match -- and if you want people who can look at a decision from a distance, we are here to help.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Lwernert

Post by Lwernert »

Thank you so much, you guys have been very helpful and kind!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

We are always here for you. Please don't beat yourself up about this. It isn't a matter of blame or fault at all - simply inexperience. What is your learning style? If you are visual, we can recommend some things to watch, and if you prefer to read, we can find the right sorts of books for you (there are loads of the wrong sorts of each in the public domain). We can help you to build a strong bank of experience to draw upon.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Lwernert

Post by Lwernert »

I think I learn better visually. I've been reading some books and articles on training, but I don't think I'm learning much from them.
Now to be fair to her she is very smart. She has already learned that she has to sit and wait before going through doors and she knows sit, stay, down, and she's getting better with leave it. She's gotten a lot better since she's been here but I think she needs a different household. One with more room for her to run and maybe a large playmate.
I think im going to maybe find some online courses on dog training so I'll be ready when I try again. Thank you all again for your help!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Lwernert wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:54 amShe has already learned that she has to sit and wait before going through doors and she knows sit, stay, down, and she's getting better with leave it. She's gotten a lot better since she's been here but I think she needs a different household.
You've already done her a huge favour not just by teaching her these skills, but demonstrating how amenable she is to training - it would be a great idea to pass this on to the rescue so they can encourage her final home to continue your good work :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009