First Move with Dogs

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

TheBealge

First Move with Dogs

Post by TheBealge »

Hi! We will be moving to a new home and I was wondering if there is anything we can do to minimize stress on our dogs. Also, are there any behavior problems that commonly arise when moving? Can we use this to help fix some existing behavior problems? Any tips on moving with dogs?
Recently, Remi jumped up on a people-only couch to escape Athena's rough playing. I immediately broke them up, but not before Remi realized that the couch was supper comfy. Unfortunately, this came after a recent trend to fight over who gets to sleep on the doggy couch. So now Remi thinks that the people only couch is comfy, and Athena doesn't want it, so it is safe, too. He likes it more than the mats and the dog couch. I just started rewarding him for sleeping on a mat, but Athena likes the mats, so it can't compete with Remi's couch. Maybe when we move it will goof them off and they will be looking for new spots? Maybe I can put one mat in Remi's crate and the other in Athena's crate, so they smell like the mat's owner. Then put each mat in a different part of the house and the first day we are there reward each dog like crazy for sleeping on its mat? Please tell me if you have any ideas, or if my idea is O.K., can be improved, or just needs to be scraped.
Remi and Athena also have some Territorial Aggression issues with dogs they are not familiar with. What are some things I can do to minimize this when they meet our new neighbor's dogs. Will moving leave them feeling like they don't really own a territory, and should I just start giving them super special treats whenever they see another dog by our new house?
What behavior problems typically arise when moving? What prevention training can I do? I do think I will go to the pet store and stock up on nature's miracle. Remi loves to mark. :) :roll:
Thank you! :D
Remi: 7-8 years old, Beagle, Basset, Corgi, Pug
Athena: 2 years old, American Staffordshire Terrier, Husky, Lab, Collie
Both were DNA tested.
P.S. We are moving to a nearby home, so we have the luxury of being able to take walks by the home, play in the yard, and go inside before the movers come.
When I signed up, I typed my username in too quickly. I wanted it to be TheBeagle. :lol:
Corgies, beagles, and bassets rock! 8)
Nettle

Re: First Move with Dogs

Post by Nettle »

In haste, so forgive brevity:

Walk them in the new-home area all the time now. Let them see the house if possible.

Put them in kennels for moving day, but if you can, give them a few hours in the same kennels beforehand so they know it isn't for ever. When you pick them up on moving day, take them for a walk first and make sure they have emptied out before you go into the new home. leave a towel or garment that smells of you in the kennels with them.

Keep them in your sight in the new home and take them outside often as if you were housetraining puppies, as dogs often have trouble telling indoors from outdoors in a new home

Have more beds than you have dogs, more water bowls too, and make sure dog beds are comfortable - not just a blanket or thin pad on a floor.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS