Gradually increasing guarding

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Gradually increasing guarding

Post by Shalista »

Bax has started to gradually increase his guarding behaviors. He's always been finnicky about his food but he's now charged my mom when she enters the room while he's eating. this obv bad because i have small children that visit frequently and occasionally drop food that he might 'claim'

more concerning is his guarding of ME. if anyone happens to walk close to me or touch me or GOD FORBID give me a good night kiss he leaps up and charges them growling.

any advice on A) food guarding or B) ME guarding
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Re: Gradually increasing guarding

Post by JudyN »

For the food guarding - your mum needs to leave him alone when he's eating and to start with, that's going to mean not entering the room. Then she can throw treats from the doorway, then take one step into the room, throw a treat, and walk away... and so on. Though given that you're moving out soon, it might be best simply to make sure he is fed away from everyone. As for dropped food and children... it comes down to management, really.

As for guarding you - I've not had this problem but I imagine the sequence would be similar. Take one step towards you, give Bax a treat & go away. Take two steps, give a treat... till they can actually touch you.

Bubt I can't help thinking that he needs a significant reduction in stress all round, and this probably won't happen till you leave home.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Re: Gradually increasing guarding

Post by Nettle »

I agree. Think of the last few incidents he's had recently - no wonder he is feeling extra anxious and insecure.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS