Question on capturing

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Question on capturing

Post by Shalista »

So bax knows his "sit' VERY well and if a treat is ever presented he immediately drops his butt to the floor. the problem is that often the treat wasn't PRESENTED for a 'sit' i was rewarding something else entirely.

Does he KNOW he's getting the treat for something else or am i just endlessly reinforcing 'sit'?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Re: Question on capturing

Post by Erica »

If you're using a marker word or click, he should be able to pick up on it being a reward for the desired behavior! If you wanted to stop this sit-for-treat default behavior, whenever you're trying to capture a behavior, I'd toss the treat. Not far, just a foot or so, so he has to walk over to it. Do this enough and he should anticipate the tossed treat and stay standing so he can get there faster. If you're looking to reward, for example, a down, I'd only feed while he's in the down position, though.

Does that make sense or am I talking gobbledygook?
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Re: Question on capturing

Post by Shalista »

hmmm i may have stepped away to much on my marker and just skipped strait to the treating. thank for the reminder!
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13