Now dog pees in crate!!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

traderjane

Now dog pees in crate!!

Post by traderjane »

Hi everyone,

I posted a thread about my cockapoo having potty training troubles. I got great advice here and I thought we were on the road to success. I take him out every two hours and he has had no accidents. This morning, I woke up to find he had peed in his crate. I haven't changed the routine. He doesn't seem sick. He peed right before bed 10:30 and the crate was wet when I went to take him to pee at 7am. He has spent this long many nights in his crate with no trouble. I would really love some advice. I don't want him to suddenly think of his crate as a place to pee.

Thanks!

-Jane
Shalista

Re: Now dog pees in crate!!

Post by Shalista »

Well def scrub the everliving pee out of that thing. If he peed on any soft surfaces throw em in the washing machine. This may be just a one off thing but any lingering scent of urine may encourage him to do it twice.... or thrice... or make a habit of it.

The only thing i can recommend is that if he's having trouble holding it overnight you may have to get up an hour or two earlier than usual, take him out, and then put him back in his crate and go back to bed.

Bax is a bit of an odd bird so you probably shouldn't use him as an example but he gets me up to go out about once a night even if i restrict water and take him out immediately before bed. (but he sleeps with me so he can tell me if/when he has to go)
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Re: Now dog pees in crate!!

Post by Erica »

It might just have been a one-off, but if it happens again I'd definitely take him in to the vets as well as get up sometime during the night to take him out. Oftentimes, sudden regression of housetraining is caused by medical conditions, like UTIs.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14