Springer Spaniel- HELP!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Esar00344

Springer Spaniel- HELP!

Post by Esar00344 »

Hello, my name is Eric and I'm a father of two wonderful children ages 4 and 5. I'm not married but live with the mom of my kids. We have a Springer Spaniel and an orange tabby. Just got a first house and thought it was a good idea to get a puppy back in November of 2015. I grew up with a border collie mix so I thought I could relate with the springer breed. A friend at work had a springer spaniel and knew the breeder, highly recommended the dogs. My springers name is Mr. Pete and he is a purebred black and white. I try walking him frequently but by the time I get home my hand and wrist are completely worn out. He will not stop pulling the entire time. I switched to a harness because he was choking himself which was not only harming him, but also extremely embarrassing when it looks like I'm this big bad dog owner. That's one issue of many. Here's the general situation: I work full time during the day, and take classes part time. He is caged too often. We try very hard to let him out more and more but there's a catch. He gets into every single thing in the house. We close kids doors, bathroom doors, door to the basement. We get any and all food from the counters (he won't stop jumping up and taking whatever is there). He has completely obliterated next to all of the kids stuffed animals. When he gets them we try to discipline him by taking it away but he always ends up getting it back and it gets shredded in the yard. Pete doesn't bite and is definitely a lover. I want very much to train him so I can enjoy the remaining years with Mr Pete. Also, he howls in the cage so we let him out and then typically outside. He does his business and its back to the glass door wall jumping as high as he can begging to come in. I am open to constructive criticism but what I'm really looking for is a plan of action. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. :roll:
Shalista

Re: Springer Spaniel- HELP!

Post by Shalista »

for starters this post might get more traffic if it was in another part of the board. Someone else may come along and move it for you.

Off handedly it sounds like he's very high energy and very bored (something you probably already know).

As a college student i totally understand having a busy lifestyle that doesn't always allow for exercising the dog but really, the more you do the better he should get.

as far as the walks, does the harness clip on the front or on the back? if it's on the back it may just be encouraging him to pull harder. A front clip should help by turning him to the side every time he pulls forward. it's not a miracle fix but more a temporary bandaid until you get the training down. front clip harnesses are pretty cheap and easy to find in pet stores and your harness may have allready come with a front clip you could try.

I applaud you for your efforts to keep the toys away from him. whenever my five year old nephew and two year old niece comes over bax goes into his room for as long as the toys are out. when toys get put away he can come out of his room. I know that isnt always feasible with small children LIVING in the house but it might encourage the kids to pick up their toys when they aren't using them if there's a danger they might get shredded and no toys means the puppy comes out to play :wink:

While a dog that can't be crate trained is a thing (bax HATES his crate and is miserable if i ever confine him in it) it's also important that he has his OWN space to retreat to, to hide from tiny hands. it will make both parties much happier. I encourage you to find a room that can be HIS (no children allowed), maybe some comfy pillows or blankets there, feed him treats and breakfast and dinner there, just a place to unwind away from everything. he may become a little bit calmer just with that knowing that he doesn't have to participate in the crazy that is a household with small children :wink:

Exercise also includes exercising the mind. if he's counter surfing and shredding toys he may just be bored. Our thread Exercise the Mind has some great posts about ways to tire him out mentally. while mental AND physical exercise is important some people argue that mental exercise is more likely to tire your dog out quickly. It's also nice because stuffing a kong A) doesnt take that long (leaving time for you to study) and B) can keep him occupied in his room while the kids have all their toys out.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Moved to Dog Training Advice :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Foxtrot

Post by Foxtrot »

There are also these things called 'tug a jugs' if he works the kongs out too quickly / gets bored if you give him a frozen one.

It's basically a bottle with a rope in the end, they have to pull the rope / swing it (not to be used near televisions / vases / picture frames) to get the bits out and our pup finds it rather more challenging.

In the winter months as well I'd consider a dog walker if you're getting home late? Takes the pressure off rather.

Is he ball orientated?

I am off to the 'wear them out mentally' post now.