Rottie cat problems

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

RottieOwner

Rottie cat problems

Post by RottieOwner »

I have a 4 month old rottweiler x puppy that I rescued from the RSPCA on Friday. I also have a 4 and a half year old cat.
I live with my family; and my younger sister introduced the cat and dog on his first day home after he had travelled for hours to get here, against my wishes. Then she allowed the cat while I was not around, to jump onto the dog and now he is terrified of the cat so much so that it is coming out in aggresion. He lunges at and nearly knocks over the baby gate that separates where Brax (the dog) sleeps and the rest of the house.

I have been doing intensive training, but I have been getting only counteractive "help" with my family yelling at him in frustration as he barks and jumps. This is not good as already in his short little life; he has been severely abused and was confiscated with a broken leg from his original home.
My family want to return him to the RSPCA which i don't want because that will be bad for me because I have made a bond with the dog; and bad for him because its one more person who has rejected him and that will make his behaviour worse. He is also terrified of cars driving past and other dogs with the exception of the staffy next door because he is bigger than her.

I have tried rewarding him when he sees the cat by giving him pats and food before he gets too excited but it doesnt seem to be getting anywhere. He needs puppy training or something but there is none in my town (I live in the West Australian outback) and I can't drive due to a medical condition. Can you help please?
Nettle

Re: Rottie cat problems

Post by Nettle »

Best for the dog (the only participant in this horrid situation who has no choice) is to go back to Rescue now, while he is still young enough to get over his various issues before your family warps him beyond repair. Right now, today.

You are not currently in a situation that allows rehabbing a dog with issues. In fact you are not in a situation to have a dog without issues. When you have your own home and can run your own life is the time to get a dog, and there will be plenty of dogs that would love to live with you then. Currently there are too many people involved who do not have the dog's welfare at heart and you aren't going to be able to change their attitudes, that is for sure.

You are on a hiding to nothing. No good can come of this. Wait until your situation changes, work towards your independence, and you will have the rest of your life to be happy with a dog. This isn't what you want to hear but it is the way life goes. It takes a calm and mature attitude to understand that sometimes we have to wait for those things we badly want. But one day we can have them. Just not right then.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
DianeLDL

Re: Rottie cat problems

Post by DianeLDL »

I know it's a hard decision, but listen to Nettle.

We adopted a chihuahua from the shelter in the USA. And, on the paperwork, it specified that he had to be the only animal in the home. Turned out that he had also been in a home with a cat. They kept the cat and sent him back to the shelter.

We have our own home and no other animals or even family except for my husband and myself. And, Sandy was one year old and we know he suffered traumas. He has been with us 6 years, and we are still working on issues. He hates cats, fear reactive to other dogs, and he even goes crazy over animals on TV.

It's a huge responsibility to care for a dog properly and it takes everyone in the home to work together. Obvioously, you don't have that situation. And neither did our dog before we adopted him.

I know it's going to be hard, but as you mentioned you can't independently care for the dog at this point.

And, as Nettle mentioned, the dog's welfare is very important, and you are the best advocate for the Rottie when you return him to the Rescue. You can give them information that can help them find a good home for him. Make it known that he cannot be in a home with a cat. Let them know about his fear issues so that anyone who is able to adopt him will have the information that they need to know to care for Rottie. And, it will be so helpful for Rottie to find a good home. He is only 4 months old, so he has a good chance of finding a loving home. Don't automatically assume the worst. Be his advocate & speak up for him. :D

One suggestion: Until you are living on your own and can have your own dog, perhaps volunteer with Rescue or the shelter and learn about dogs while helping them to care for the dogs until they can be adopted. The dogs there need loving, need to be walked, and you have a lot of love to give. You have learned a lot from this experience and working with dogs in the shelter will teach you more and just think how many dogs will benefit from love and attention that you have to give them. :D

See it as an opportunity to help you grow, too. And, contacting us let's us know that you really care about dogs and want the best for all dogs. :D
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09