Encouraging barking?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Encouraging barking?

Post by Shalista »

So my sister lives above me and occasionally she makes a thump, or sometimes when people come home, Bax will bark and growl and whine and pace. I talk to him in a reassuring tone and let him know that it's just a thump and that he's okay.

My more punitive household members say i should punish him for barking by yelling at him. Personally i think he's just nervous and needs a little reassuring that the sky isn't falling.

Am I right? or should i just ignore the behavior?

TLDR what's the appropriate response to a dog barking, growling, and whining at a sudden noise?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Re: Encouraging barking?

Post by Nettle »

You are right.

NOISE - dog afraid so he shouts Go Away Noise

You say it's okay, look I'm here, all is good, hey let's do this. Dog feels comforted/safe and is less likely to shout or shout so much in future.

If you punished him he would be even more afraid - Noise, Mum hits me oh no, go away noise oh heck I have nowhere safe to go BARKBARKBARK.

Personally I think your folks should try hitting your sister when she makes a noise then maybe they'd realise it doesn't work. :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
RangerBeaut

Post by RangerBeaut »

Not to ask a question on top of a question but if a dog that reacts to a noise like the above post (based on fear) and barks and growls and wont settle down even after you say your quiet command (thank you, quiet, shush) is a time out suitable (bring dog into room for a few seconds - once quiet, ok to release)?
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

If Bax won't quiet I'm a huge fan of distracting him. I'll grab a handful of treats and put him through some super easy obedience stuff that would normally be a snooze fest for him. Even just playing "Look at me" or "guess which hand has the treat" is enough to take his mind off of the scary stuff. I've had huge luck doing this even when there's someone at the door and my housemates are there talking to them.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

RangerBeaut wrote:Not to ask a question on top of a question but if a dog that reacts to a noise like the above post (based on fear) and barks and growls and wont settle down even after you say your quiet command (thank you, quiet, shush) is a time out suitable (bring dog into room for a few seconds - once quiet, ok to release)?

As Shalista says - distraction is the way, but before the excess barking begins. So - thank you, quiet, here let's do this. Works with toddlers too. :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS