Introducing New Dog

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Den40

Introducing New Dog

Post by Den40 »

Hi

I have a 7 year old female reactive dog, to other dogs, except from about 3 dog friends!

I would like to take a rescue ***** about 2 years old, she has the sweeest nature, seems very calm.

So far we have done distance walking, parallel walking and a quick rear sniff.
This has gone very well so far!

The problem will arise when we get near our home, as our dog displays territorial behaviour and will begin to growl and show teeth, any advice welcome to try to make this work?

Thanks
JudyN

Re: Introducing New Dog

Post by JudyN »

I'm not an expert, but one thing I've learnt from this forum is that when two females don't get on, it can be impossible to fix it and they can injure each other seriously - or worse. So sadly, it may be that this is never going to work.

Your dog clearly prefers to be an only pet and I do think we have to prioritise our current pet's needs. Possibly she may accept the right male dog but then again she may well not. It's a bit like a man saying 'Honey, I love you so much I decided to take another wife as well - I'm sure you're going to get on just fine'!

Sorry I can't be more optimistic!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Re: Introducing New Dog

Post by Nettle »

I agree totally. Not worth turning your dog's world upside down and inside out. She has to come first. Let someone else take the other dog on. Your priority is to keep your existing dog happy.

Most dogs would rather be 'only dogs'. Truly.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS