Puppy crying when left at night

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

mollymoon

Puppy crying when left at night

Post by mollymoon »

Hello everyone

Molly is a 15 week old Heinz 57, roughly. She was dumped along with her 2 sisters at the age of about 6 weeks in Spain
She and her sisters made the long journey to the uk with us in the car 2 days ago. They were all reallly good on the journey
Molly sisters have now gone to their new homes and Molly is settling in really well with us
BUT... now her sisters have gone she really doesnt like being left alone. We put her in her crate last night with a toy and a puppy kong with a little peanut butter. Within 10 mins she was crying, We waited a short time to see if she would stop but it seemed to be persistent
My Hubby slept on the sofa with her crate nearby so she could hear he was there.
But how will we get her to settle at night without us in the room? I have thought to get her a really long lasting treat for tonight but I don't think this alone is going to solve the problem. Any ideas gratefully recieved.
JudyN

Re: Puppy crying when left at night

Post by JudyN »

I would move her crate into your bedroom. That way, if she whines you can reassure her. If you can't/don't want to for any reason, I would carry on sleeping on the sofa (or, if you have room, a camp bed or similar) until she's more settled. You could then try withdrawing for short times, as you would for daytime anxiety - though of course that could involve broken sleep.

If you do have her in your room it doesn't have to be forever, though you might well find it works for you :D

She's still a baby and has been through an awful lot, and the priority right now is to make her feel secure.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009