Both dogs snapping at/biting people

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Moekitty

Both dogs snapping at/biting people

Post by Moekitty »

I have two dogs and both of them have been showing aggression towards people. I have a pit bull mix I've had since she was a puppy (4 in November) who is fine in the house (mostly), but when we are out she seems very scared and will snap at people if they try to pet her but so far she hasn't actually bit anyone. If I get the chance to say something I will ask them to just let her go up to them if she wants, she may or may not let them pet her after she sniffs them but that is the only really safe time to try. But there have been times where I was walking her and someone would walk by us and pet her as they passed before I could warn them. Thankfully no actual teeth on skin yet. She is also very sensitive to eye contact if she feels they are staring she gets very upset and aggressive, but I know she's more afraid then anything because she doesn't charge or lunge she stays beside or behind me at all times. She is a lot like me I'm also a very shy and nervous person.

My other dog is a puggle who was sort of dumped on me, I don't know his background really but I've had him for about 8 or 9 months, the estimate I was given for his age was maybe 5 years old-ish. He has so far bitten 5 people, friends and family, mostly on the ankles, some on their hands, one bad enough he had to go to the doctor. He attacks people when they leave the house, biting their shoes & ankles, and the worst bites are on hands if they reach over the fence or try to pet him when he is sitting near me. He is the one I would describe as vicious, he barks at anything he thinks is someone coming up to the house with his fur on end and tears up the carpet by the door while howling if I lock him in another room. On walks he barks and lunges at people so they don't try to pet him, I assume he would bite but I don't know. My friend was very nice not to report my dog when he went to the doctor, he told them it was a stray. I'm afraid I won't be as lucky the next time it happens with either of them.
Nettle

Re: Both dogs snapping at/biting people

Post by Nettle »

You are right on the money when you say they don't want to be petted by strangers, and after all, WE don't want to be petted by strangers either.

So it's the people you need to manage. Zero tolerance. Make sure by whatever means that they can't pet your dog. When you are out walking and people approach, get your dog on the far side away from them and quick-march past, saying something like "He's scared of strangers". I appreciate as a shy person this is hard for you, but you have to go for it because the alternative is your dog biting and that person being badly hurt and/or reporting your dog to the authorities.

What a gem your friend is, by the way! I hope you bought her some chocolate :wink: or a meal out.

When you have people to visit the house, put your shy scaredy dog behind a babygate or in another room. If he is only reactive when people leave, put him away before they start the stand-up-goodbyes.

This may be for ever - some dogs never take to strangers - or it may be until your dogs become more confident in your ability to protect them. There is more to say but I don't want to overwhelm you, and others will be along soon to add advice.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Moekitty

Post by Moekitty »

Thank you for replying-it's true that it will be hard for me to speak up when people try to pet them but I'll do my best. I'll keep them on my side and try to walk so that when people pass I'm in between them so they can't just reach out and pet too. I definitely owe my friend big time! :) Everyone else who's been bitten as well, even though my puggle is small if they reported him I'm sure I'd have lost him by now after so many bites.

My pit bull will be okay in another room when people visit, she would rather not be in the same room as them anyway and she has epilepsy so I try not to stress her out. But my puggle tears things up and howls if he can't see or get to me, I'll try a baby gate but I'm not sure how he'll do with that. I hope one day I can let people pet them, but I understand safety comes first.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

You can buy vests for dogs to wear that say 'Dog in need of space'. Or even a harness/vest that makes it look as if the dogs are service dogs or in training might ensure people ask before touching your dogs. It's also worth considering muzzles, but not if it's going to make you feel more relaxed about letting people approach. But ultimately you do have to keep telling people not to touch your dogs until it becomes a habit.

I would accustom your puggle to spending time behind a stairgate away from you. Start by just leaving him for seconds and build up very slowly, at a pace he is comfortable with.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009