Lurcher chases every dog she sees!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fozzy

Lurcher chases every dog she sees!

Post by Fozzy »

I recently found a hare coursing lurcher, who had been left behind and have had her for 3 weeks. She was very nervous, especially of men but she has settled down a lot and is happy for people to stroke her when out on walks and will go up to other dogs on her own. The only thing is when she starts playing then she starts chasing them and won't stop. She's more than happy for other dogs to chase her as well but I think she scares most off a bit! She barks at dogs if they don't interact with her as well. She's not a big foody so won't take treats on a walk, not even chicken or sausage or liver, and she doesn't like her toys enough to be distracted when there's other dogs to play with. How can I get her to settle down a bit with others dogs? Stop all of the barking and get her back when the other dogs have had enough of her?
Nettle

Re: Lurcher chases every dog she sees!

Post by Nettle »

She sounds very young, and this is normal lurcher interaction with other dogs - labradors body-slam, lurchers chase. It can be frightening to other dog owners, so you need to only allow her to chase if the owners are happy with it i.e. have her on-lead when other dogs are about and ask the owner first.

They grow out of it in time, but it takes a couple of years.

You haven't had her long, and recall is the hardest thing to teach any dog. I recommend you read "The House Lurcher" by J. Drakeford as a lurcher owner's bible. I've kept lurchers most of my life, and I always steer new owners towards reading it.

We like photos.......
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS