Puppy on a Hunger Strike

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

btr323

Puppy on a Hunger Strike

Post by btr323 »

Hello again,

My pup Gypsy, an anxious but lovely 6mo lab mix, has decided that she will no longer be eating out of her bowl. I think this is a stress-related issue, and I would welcome any comments or suggestions on how to handle this.

I feed her dry kibbles twice a day, and she usually eats roughly the amount suggested on the bag. I've switched her from Hill's to the large puppy variety of Wellness Core, thanks to dogfoodadvisor.com and the recommendations of this forum. Y'all should have seen the way it changed her eating habits! I used to think Gypsy wasn't food motivated, but it turns out she just wasn't very Hills motivated :lol: However, this has recently changed: she hasn't even touched four of her last five meals. (The one exception came when I broke down and mixed in some of the hot dog bits I use for treats, since I was worried that she hadn't really eaten for two days. But, I'm worried this will teach her to turn her nose up until I sweeten the deal, so to speak, so I'd prefer to avoid going too far down that path.)

My theory as to the culprit? Stress. I've been studying for the bar exam, which begins in 11 days, so she might as well be swimming in my stress hormones. What's more, we're moving tomorrow, so there are all kinds of environmental changes surrounding her. She's something of a neophobe, and startled when she walked out of my room and saw all the moving boxes. (Which is odd to me, because she's grown to love "101 uses for a box.")

I've increased her exercise in hopes of calming her nerves--we're doing three 10-minute walks, one 30 minute walk, and one one 30-45 minute off-leash romp every day (used to do 3 or 4 daily 10min walks and a romp every other day). Although this has certainly changed her sleep schedule--I don't think she's been awake more than 30 minutes total since we got back from a romp at the arboretum 5 hours ago--it hasn't made her any more willing to eat from her bowl.

The final note I'd add is that Gypsy's appetite doesn't seem to be flagging. She'll nose around for the treat bag if I leave it within or just outside of her reach, and she eagerly eats out of my hands or off the floor when I treat her. (I think this is something specific to the bowl I'm feeding her out of--when I put her food down an hour ago, she scampered around to eat the kibbles that had fallen on the floor, but wouldn't touch the ones in the bowl.)

What I've been reading seems to indicate that the best approach is to just continue to remove the food when she doesn't eat it. I've also read a few suggestions to withhold food until she'll eat a meal, but I'm leery of going that direction with things--it seems a little cruel to me.

Have any of y'all had problems like these? How did you solve them? Is withholding food really the best way to get her to eat? Or should I just keep trying to feed her, and ride things out until the stress recedes?
delladooo

Re: Puppy on a Hunger Strike

Post by delladooo »

Where are you feeding her? My terrified-of-a-lot girl wouldn't eat for days on end - once for two weeks straight - but has been miles better since feeding her in a crate. Currently it's the only use of her crate but she feels much safer in it and will eat.

Another possible suggestion but if it's just the bowl she has issue is, could you feed her out of something else?
btr323

Post by btr323 »

Where are you feeding her?
I've fed her in her crate from day one, but during this little episode have tried feeding her outside of the crate as well. No success either way.
could you feed her out of something else?
I've tried feeding her out of a kong, but she loses interest before she eats anywhere near what she used to eat out of her bowl. The loss of interest doesn't seem to be related to her appetite, since at that point she'll still eat out of my hand/off the floor when I treat her (often with just kibbles, sometimes a mix of hot dog/cheese/kibbles).

Do you have any suggestions on other things to feed her out of?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It could be something like her collar tag hitting the bowl, or it could be what the bowl's made of. I'd try different shapes/materials - for example, a flat plastic plate. Or even a folded towel or flannel.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Erica

Post by Erica »

If she likes "hunting" for the spilled kibbles, try tossing a dozen pieces at a time around the room for her to look for. Whenever I take care of a solo dog, I feed every meal like this - it's much more fun for them and satisfies some of the natural hunting instincts.

i wouldn't be surprised if you were correct that all the changes have stressed her out such that normal food isn't motivating enough for her.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
btr323

Post by btr323 »

Update: She ate a few bites from her dinner bowl! Probably only a third of what I put down for her, but that's still better than nothing.

Judy, she seemed startled by the noise from the collar tags when she was younger, so my practice has been to take her collar off before feeding. She has to go through two closed external doors to get outside, so she's usually au natural when we're going to be inside for a while. Good idea on the different bowl shapes/materials--I'll try that out.
If she likes "hunting" for the spilled kibbles, try tossing a dozen pieces at a time around the room for her to look for.
Ooh that sounds like something she'd really enjoy! I'll give that a try with the remainder of her dinner.

ETA: She sniffed the kibbles, decided she didn't want any, and laid down next to my chair :roll: Haha I guess I'll try again later.
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Hi. I'd guess it is to do with the smell of the kibble and/or the bowl.

In addition to other suggestions, try mixing something smelly/tasty (EG: pet mince, dog sausage, chicken stock or broth, whatever) in with your choice of kibble at mealtime. Just the smells during food prep. may make the pup more enthusiastic about eating. Place the bowl or dish down in a familiar but safe spot and let the pup eat in peace. Afterwards rinse the bowl with clean water only.
Hope this helps.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Remind me how old she is - could she be teething, or else coming on heat?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
btr323

Post by btr323 »

She's about six months old--six and a half, if you want to be precise about it--and has all of her adult teeth. The teething period when she was losing baby teeth/having her adult teeth come in was pretty rough for her, but she seems to be past it now. The adult teeth are still getting bigger though, so maybe that's causing her some discomfort.

I think the bowl is our culprit. I fed her today from a plastic (rather than metal) bowl, and she gobbled everything up pretty quickly. Hopefully this trend continues, haha.

On a related point, the move is over and Gypsy taken to the new house like she's lived here all her life! I kept her in the (huge, fenced, partially wooded, and generally wonderful for dogs) backyard while all the furniture and boxes were coming in. Once I let her inside, she sniffed around, explored a bit, and settled right in. :D Here's hoping things continue so smoothly.

Thanks all for your suggestions and advice!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I'm glad the move went well, and she likes her new house :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009