Scared Cocker Spaniel

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Joner77

Scared Cocker Spaniel

Post by Joner77 »

Can anyone please advise. I have a 9 month cocker spaniel, who has only barked once and is scared of everything.
When I say everything, I mean everything. If he sees a cat he will run away.

Can anyone advise how I can help him
ScarletSci

Re: Scared Cocker Spaniel

Post by ScarletSci »

Hi there, I'm sure people will be happy to help, but we need a lot more details please to be able to advise. What does your dogs day typically look like? What's his/her daily routine? How long have you had him/her? Can you give us specific examples of what happens when he's afraid? Is he afraid of things in the house as well? Who else is in the household? Other dogs/kids/adults? Is your dog neutered? What does he eat? Do you do any training? What have you tried so far? What do you do when he reacts fearfully?

We may be able to advise when we have some more information. Hopefully a mod can move this to the training section where more people are likely to see it.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

ScarletSci wrote:Hopefully a mod can move this to the training section where more people are likely to see it.
Moved :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Besides everything scarlet asked for, nine months old is also a typical time for the second fear stage in dogs. It's a lot like the stranger awareness phase in infants. How well the puppy passes through this phase depends a lot on how the humans handle it. Much as with small children, if we put on a happy voice and explain what the fearful thing is while soothing and reassuring, he may feel inclined to go with you for a closer look at the scary thing. Don't force it, though. That comes with time. Sometimes it helps if he sees you touching and handling the object.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.