greeting issues.

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

gwd

greeting issues.

Post by gwd »

ok gang, here is my issue.

OH started a bad habit back when we had the first springer. .........it was 'DADDY'S HOME!!!!!! i tried to discourage this, with little success.

i contributed to separation anxiety issues because, in an effort to socialize, i took all of my errands as an opportunity to get him out in public places. .........it was only later that i realized i'd neglected to make sure he understood that each time i leave wasn't a guarantee that he got to come along.

it was only with the anxiety that i was able to convince OH that his homecoming routine wasn't helping me deal with making exits and entrances a lower key affair.

so, we've been working on this..........during the day, my departures and homecomings are not so much of a big deal......minor issues of jumping and squealing but manageable. .....quick to settle. .......when OH comes home, i've been working on waits and generous treats........so long as i hear the garage door go up and have time to 'pre-settle' .......things are going well. it just takes time to form new habits.

now, my main issue.........my 1 year old b*tch's response to my males excitement. ........rather than clamor for her own attention, she launches on my male. grabbing ears, and particularly his hocks. this happens during times i've been caught unaware and OH (or my son) comes home at a time i'm not expecting and i'm perhaps upstairs or in the middle of something.

it was really bad the other day when my son and i had to take care of some car repairs. the dogs were left for about 4 hours. ......when we got home, my male reacted very excitedly (jumping, squealing) and my little girl was pretty rough with him.

he's so focused on trying to get attention that he pays her little mind, however, she's being rough enough that if this continues, at some point i can see him retaliating. .........especially when he's in that aroused state of excitement.

obviously i need to manange his excitement, but any tips on what to do with her?

what we've been trying is to get her focused on a toy. her greets are more about grabbing a stuffie and doing the 'parade'. this was working pretty well but isn't a foolproof way to keep her from abusing her poor brother.

i hope i've described the issue well enough.......