Getting a Fear Aggressive dog ok with a certain dog

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

KingofAces

Getting a Fear Aggressive dog ok with a certain dog

Post by KingofAces »

Hello, I'm back again with questions about my little Ace. I'll give as much information as I can, but please be aware that I'm with limited resources because the dog that I need my Ace to feel like he doesn't need to eat everytime he gets too close does not belong to me... now before I get the the problem, I'll give other information that may be needed.

He's fed Blue Buffalo, 1 cup in the morning with the Busy Buddy Tug-a-jug dispenser and 1 and a half cup at night with the same dispenser.

From what I've read on here, I've been keeping his walks short, but more often, and been trying my hardest to see and/or hear dogs and move him in the other direction before he reacts, and I've been doing well with these. I usually wake up to go to the gym in the morning, but take him to potty before I leave. After I come home, a quick walk followed by breakfast, and then another short walk afterwards. I may or may not get another walk in before I have to leave depending on whether I have work or school. (If I close, then he has many more walks through out the day, but I don't close very often.) He's left home from about 10:30 A.M. to 6 P.M. when I work, or from 12 to about 3:30 when I have school. He's put in his kennel when I am away, and he's fine with that. When I come home, he is taken out right away for a bathroom break and a quick walk, and I try to walk him at least once per hour until around 10 to 11 when it's bed time. He gets one last potty break and quick walk, then inside for bed. He gets his second half of his food around 8.

Now here's my question. I was told before to leave the issue until I can De-stress Ace for a little while, but my main priority now is to not have to walk on eggshells (Hopefully) with the newest addition to the house. Like I said before, there's two other dogs here besides Ace, Zeus and the newcomer Titian. Ace is perfectly fine with Zeus, they play all of the time, but it's a bit rough for my taste. I try to keep them from being rough, but they're really good at letting each other know if it gets to be too much, and they don't fight about it. Ace is fine with the sight of Titian, as long as he's not in the same room at the moment, but the problem lies in when Titian starts barking at Ace.

Titian was adopted from a shelter at 6 weeks by his previous owners (Who couldn't keep him after only like 2 weeks... :roll: ) so I don't believe he has many if any social skills with other dogs, since I don't know when he was taken away from his mother. He acts the same way with Zeus, but it's better now with those two. Zeus is a mature unaltered male who isn't bothered by dogs barking, growling, or nipping at him. His not reacting has helped Titian calm down around him, but I don't know what I'm going to do with Titian and my Ace.

With My Ace, a dog barking in his face sets him off no matter what dog it is. In fact, I've only seen him tolerate Zeus for this, and no other dog that he likes. But I'd like to know a good place to start to possibly be able to live in harmony again instead of worrying where there puppy is at all times. I know the owners will be willing to do certain things for small portions of the day, which I know in the long run would be better anyways to keep stress levels as low as possible, but I don't know where to start.

The trainer I had before that I told you about, told me to have Ace in his kennel while playing with the puppy and vice versa, and to take the two on walks together. Ace actually did well with both of those, and they were both able to walk next to each other happily. (Ace had a muzzle on just in case though) I didn't even have to give any corrections or commands (I know now that I was in the wrong though.) So, I'm asking what I should be doing to help bring peace back in the house. Like I said before, I don't need to get to the point where they can really play like Ace and Zeus can, but I'd like to be able to have them pass each other and not freak out at each other.

If there's any more questions, feel free to ask. I just got off of a very rare 12 hour shift, (Someone requested off...) so I'm a bit tired and I don't know if I missed anything. Thanks for reading. :) Hopefully someone can help me soon.

*Edit* See I knew I forgot something: His training.

On his short walks, I work on his sit, down, and come here while he's in motion and sniffing. I reward with treats and rubs. I also do watch me when there's not too much distraction around as he's not proofed on that yet. I also do some work at home, including teaching him with the clicker. He's a little slower still with that, but I think it has more to do with him being used to me telling him what to do thanks to previous trainers and he isn't aware that he has to think what of how to get the treat. He is getting better at it though.