Unpredictable Dog

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Natasha Louise

Unpredictable Dog

Post by Natasha Louise »

Hi my names Natasha Green i have a yellow labrador called Max who i took in as the lady who had him before me couldn't look after him anymore.
Hes a lovely really sweet dog so far hes got on with all the people hes met on my estate and hes brilliant with kids and theres a young boy on my cul de sac who lives just across the road from me who's got down syndrome and Max is brilliant with him and treats him as gentle as he does the kids and he loves my carers and my boyfriend and his family to bits and because i have Autism and some physical and medical problems i didn't get out much and if i did everyone worried about me and since i got Max hes helped me get out and hes already picked up on my low blood sugar and warns me or if i have anyone with me he warns them that i need to get sugar quick.
The only problem with Max is that he is really unpredictable with other dogs and its so hard to know what to do cause you never know how hes going to react some dogs hes fine with and others he goes nuts sometimes hes happy to sit and watch them go past most of the time with a lot of whining and barking but not always.
Other times he really goes for them like just last night he nearly pulled me over to get to a little dog but to be fair the owners didn't have their dog on a lead and they were telling their dog to go for him so that might have been partly why he did it and reacted more.
At first we thought it was just big dogs he didn't get on with but then when i took him to the beach with one of my carers he met a big dog and he was fine with him they both got on at first but it was the other dog who turned first and Max didn't even react much just let me pull him away which he doesn't normally do.
I love Max to bits hes settled in with me and i don't want him to end up hurting another dog and having people say hes too big for me and to get rid of him so please has anyone got any advice on what to do with him ? I don't want to lose him :(