onlead problems with male dog's.

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

promarc

onlead problems with male dog's.

Post by promarc »

Hi peeps just a bit of advice needed as im stumped. Right if i go out for a walk with my bull-mastiff x rottie and he see's another male he reacts, now just to clarify he was attacked a couple of times when he was a puppy by different dog's, nothing serious but it scared him at the time. now he was socialized late as no one wanted to let him near there dog due to his breed, i know not good and judged. so i set a group up on a networking site to get some meets going, they went brilliantly, all dog's off lead no aggression at all with any of them, but 99% were female's, so a member had joined and said she had a male, so we let them offlead on a meet and they were brilliant, ok the other dog was trying to hump my lad to which he warned him off, now he has been off lead a couple of times with males after this, and recently a stray male terrier type dog has been coming into the garden to which they both play before the terrier goes, no aggression at all. now when i am out with him and he see's a male he goes into flight mode growling and barking up on his hind leg's, i change direction to try and calm him down and get his adrenaline down, i do everything training wise in a positive training way ie clicker and treats, i can get him to do anything this way even to the point i can put a high value treat on his paw and he'll look at me, so ive done the leave it command ect, but this is just getting embarrassing now as people must think he's aggressive when he isnt. i have a friend who has a Dogue de Bordeaux, now when they first met they reacted face to face, now we walked up and down a field together and they was fine, we met up again after that and it was a nightmare, so we stopped meeting. any advice will be brilliant to stop this from happening as it does spoil our walk. sorry if Ive ranted on lol.

Just a side note, we had rescued a husky (female) that had been dumped and fostered her for a few weeks and it was a brilliant experience for us and for sammy to learn to live with another dog, and we fostered a malamute from a rescue for 5 weeks which again was a fantastic experience and was good for sammy again, he would always let the female do whatever never challenged a female. i could if requested put a video up of him playing with the malamute we fostered to see if that help's. just wish i had a video of him reacting as it would be better to see the problem.