Useful Links and Recommended Reading

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

alecs722

Re: Useful Links and Recommended Reading

Post by alecs722 »

Here's a website a really like: http://www.trainingpositive.com/video-tutorials/
I've provided the direct link to the video tutorials. The cool thing about this website is that the video tutorials are in 3 categories: Basic, Advanced and Tricks. They're also in a step-by-step form, that helps me a lot. I've seen other tutorials on "How to teach your dog to heel" for example, and never understood how it works for them, but not for me. This guy shows all the steps to get there.
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but I would recommend the book "Dog Sense" by John Bradshaw (BASIC BOOKS). Not so much about training techniques, but more about the reasons behind them, history and domestication of the dog, and how we can better understand and care for our canine companions. A Google search should find some reviews. Cheers.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

One of the best books with practical examples for many training and counter conditioning exercises:

"Control Unleashed" Leslie McDevitt I have used the "adult" dog version and there is now a puppy version. Its not just for those focused on dog sports either.
wilburngweston

Post by wilburngweston »

cranleigh wrote:Im researching these books as we speak! Thanks.

Could anyone recommend any good magazines? I'm based in UK. Cheers
What kind of magazines you're searching for? Buy the way?
deathaction

Post by deathaction »

great job minkee :D
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Hi all,

The gremlins must be at work here. I just got notification today of a new addition to this topic, yet I see it is over a month since then. :mrgreen:

Very strange. It coud have something to do with my emails to AOL. I havent been receiving some at all from some groups and other are delayed. Usually, I get them, especially the spammers on time. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
HBFarl

Post by HBFarl »

This is ideal... thanks guys, gonna go and check out these sites now whilst I have a free couple of hours.

I did find this one the other day because I've been concerned about how a new pup and baby will get along: http://www.prams.net/blog/how-to-prepar ... -new-baby/

But we're doing it in reversal, gotta introduce the dog to a home which already has a baby in it, so if anyone knows of any useful articles specifically about that it'd be appreciated! Thanks!
elisa

Post by elisa »

Hi all,
Looking for book suggestions on multi-dog households. I got "Feeling Outnumbered" by London&McConnell and that was very nice for practical advice on what to train (I can start with the one dog now) but I guess what I would like is a book to help me think through getting another pup and especially how to start on the first meetings and how to handle everything as I know it will not be a perfect "love at first sight" setup. Anything with actual stories would be good too.

I'd like another pup but I know my current pup would not be super impressed with someone to share things with. But I figure it would anyway be easier on her now at seven than when she is older. (I have asked about a border collie puppy from a breeder possibly in the autumn.) Might make another post at some point to ask the forum about this. Right now just feel I'd like to read a book or two or ten.

Thanks!
The best friend of Ansa the sprollie since autumn 2010.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnsaTheSprollie
Train with your brain. :)