Bed time manners

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Bed time manners

Post by Shalista »

Bax usually sleeps at my feet and even when I'm not there he prefers the bottom of the bed to snooze on all my tangled blankets. recently though just when it's time for bed he'll get up from wherever he's napping and go lie down near my pillow. he doesn't fall asleep there, he stays fully alert and awake and watches me get ready. then when i go to lie down he gets...awkward. he gives me his "i'm not comfortable with this" body language. i try to ignore him and just lay down as far from him as possible but my bed is pretty narrow and there isnt much room. he usually gets up and leaves then to go the foot of my bed. i was thinking of a cue to move him to the foot of the bed? but if hes comfy there idk.... i dont want to banish him from the bed entirely because thats kind of HIS spot in HIS room.

ive heard so many horror stories of dogs getting snarky on beds and i want to head that off
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Re: Bed time manners

Post by Erica »

If you can keep a tupperware of treats somewhere in your room, I'd just toss one to the end of the bed right when you're ready to get in (or lure him if he's not good at following thrown food) and see if that skips the sticky point.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

hes not great about treats when he's not happy. like when its time to go to bed if hes feeling grumpy he WONT go into our room, even if i bribe him with liverwurst. hell just stand in the doorway and run away if i come close. he has that same stubborn set in his eyes for bed soooo im doubtful treats will help
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I'm wondering if it would be easier to teach him to get off the bed altogether, then back onto his position once you're in bed. You can train the 'off' at any time of day, when he's feeling more relaxed, and turn it into a game.

Or could you tempt him down the end of the bed with his flirt pole - or would he just get all excited then?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I've taught all my dogs to come and lie down in a spot by putting a soft surface down and tapping it invitingly (I'm not big on commands with mine). So for instance at the vet's I bring a folded blanket, put it on the floor in the consulting room, tap it and they lie down there.

Might it be helpful to teach Bax to lie on a blanket or towel to cue and then be rewarded at a time that is not connected to going to bed? Once established, all you'd have to do is put the lie-here article at the foot of the bed and tap it or give your cue.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

hahaha hed def get way to amped up for the flirt pole but i might start working on his off and then on again cue.

also bax has never been big on 'tapping invitingly' if he wants to sit on something, he sits on it, but it has to be HIS spot soooo high up and cushy usually, or in front of the heater.

EDIT: also what im strugglign with is no matter how i do training when the treats come out bax just gets soooo amped up and he'll press repeat a million times if it gets him a million treats. i'm not sure this is a behavior i want to start when its bed time..... tbh Bax doesnt really have any cues that he uses in the day to day? certainly nothing involving treats or direct spoken cues(ie no sits, stays, or recalls, or offs, or 'crate'). i try to avoid that kind of thing because he gets so excited

......and i feel liek a horrible furmom for not giving Bax cues. he's trained i swear! he KNOWS a bunch of cues and tricks because he loves learnign them and its fun for him and a great way to exercise his mind.... we just dont ever USE them