New puppy & new to the forum

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MalteseMom

New puppy & new to the forum

Post by MalteseMom »

I am a 36 yr old stay at home mom with 2 kids aged 7 & 3. We recently adopted a 3 month old Maltese puppy to join our family. She is very cuddly, very gentle and yet energetic.

She is still having an issue with mouthing. We are trying a method based on one of Victoria Stilwell's videos to yelp and walk away. She seems to calm down and give kisses after a bit when doing this. I assume this just takes time. She seems to focus most of her mouthing on my husband. Since he works he does have the least amount of time with her, so maybe she is just not as used to him?

Aside from the mouthing, potty training has been going pretty well. She can hold it for 4-4.5 hours overnight and during the day she has a bell she rings to go outside. On nice sunny days she sometimes rings it just to get outside

Anyway, excited to be a part of the positive training forum. We love our new Maltese puppy Holly
Shalista

Re: New puppy & new to the forum

Post by Shalista »

Welcome, welcome! she sounds sweet as can be, you should post pictures!!!
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Welcome. I love that you trained Holly to ring a bell when she needs/wants to go outside. :D Sometimes, when it is nice outside, my two girls like to go outside just to enjoy being out there. And at those times, they like for me to come out with them. I figure, when it comes to taking care of myself, my dogs know best (they've proven to have a lot of wisdom about what humans need). So I take a book out onto the back porch swing and read while they sun bathe. 8)

I have a springer spaniel mix, and an English Setter.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Welcome :D

At 3 months, it's normal that there is still some mouthing - and it may get temporarily worse when she starts teething. But she'll get there in the end! Some dogs get more excited and mouthe more when their owners yelp, and just walking away without commenting at all works better for them. So you might want to try that and see which works for you.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009